Getting Started Guide
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Plone is a content management system that makes it easy for non-technical people to add content to a website. The support area of LiveModern provides guidance on how to use the website. This document provides an overview, with links for more information that can be found either on this site or in the Plone User Manual. Please note that the Plone User Manual is a generic document for all stock Plone websites: we've made some modifications to our Plone site so not all content in the Plone User Manual will be relevant.
Joining the Site
Joining this website gives you the right as a member to add content, such as forum comments, images, documents and so forth.
To join this website, select the
join link in the top right hand corner of the home page. This opens the Registration form for you to complete. If this is the first form you have encountered on this website, you will note that a red square next to the label of an input field means the field is required. You may navigate through the form fields by tabbing on them.
There are only three fields on the join form, all of which are required:
- Full Name—Your name. Please use your real full name. It will appear where ever you author content.
- Login Name—The Login Name you wish to use, most people choose an alphanumeric value without spaces such as "bob" or "jane97". Note that your Login Name is case sensitive.
- Email—A valid email address is required. That way if you lose your password it can be emailed to you. You will be able to change this email address later on by editing your member preferences.
Once you have completed this form, click
Register (only once) to submit your information. It may take a moment to confirm that your registration request has been initiated. An account activation link to complete your registration will be sent to you via email. Click on the link in the email to proceed. Once you have finished the registration process, you can log in to add content or customize your access to LiveModern.
If you already have a Login Name and Password, you can log in to the site by typing them into the log in form or clicking the
log in link at the top of any page. Cookies must be enabled for you to log in to this website. Note: you only need to log into add or edit content. Generally, the site is slower when you are logged in, primarily because what you see is matched to your specific personal preferences.
If you forget your password, a password reset process can be initiated if we have your current email address. You can request that your password be reset by clicking on the
Forgot your password? link located in the log in form. If you've forgotten your Login Name, please refer to Managing your Membership.
Once you are logged in to the website, in the upper right hand corner you will see your name. Click on it and you will see a link to
log out. Although not required, tt is good practice to
log out of the website when you are finished using it.
Setting Personal Information
Once logged in, when you click on your name in the upper right corner of any page, there is a
preferences link that opens a page to personalize your preferences. The default is to go to personal preferences, but you'll want to click on the
Personal Information tab. This form, which you may have seen when you first registered, allows you to set a number of personal preferences that change how you interact with the site, and others on the site interact with you.
- Full Name—This value is entered when you registered your membership on the site.
- Email—This is the email address associated with your membership (it was entered when you registered) and is used a number of places in this website (though never revealed to the public). Most importantly, if you lose or forget your password, this is the address the system will send the password reset email to.
- Location—Enter only your city and state. Sometime soon we will enable you to restrict the scope of the information you see on LiveModern based on your location. Of course, you will have the option of seeing all of it, but many people are interested only in seeing information that is in their own location. This field will help us get ready for that.
- Role—Please indicate whether you are primarily a producer of goods and/or services for the modern market, or a consumer. This information will not be displayed on LiveModern.
These are only the required fields in your Personal Information page. There are, however, several other fields that if you complete will help other members find you based on your interests:
- Interests—Please indicate the types of content you are most interested in viewing on LiveModern. This information will be displayed on your "author" page, and we will in the future use it to help filter content for you. You can select more than one category by using control-click on Windows computers and command-click on Apple computers.
- Geographic Range—Please indicate the maximum distance from your home/office that you consider your local market (i.e., where you primarily buy/sell modern products and services). This information will not be displayed on LiveModern, though we will use this information in the future to help filter content for you.
- Biography—A short overview of who you are and what you do. Your biography will be displayed on your author page, linked from the items you create.
- Home Page—The URL for your home page, if you have one on another website.
- Portrait—Adding a picture of your self (or your avatar) is a great way to personalize your presence on LiveModern.
Once you have made the desired changes to your preferences, click
Save to commit them.
Adding and Managing Content
The primary reason for joining LiveModern is to add content. Usually, this is to start or add to a conversation in one of our forums. It may also be that you want to add a comment to other content on the site, such as an entry in one of our blogs. If you are a business, you may also want to add announcements about upcoming events or news items about new products or services. We make it possible for anyone to add advanced content with these simple instructions.
Searching for Content
LiveModern has over 100,000 pages of content on the website. There are two ways to search for content specific to your interests. At the top of any web page site there is a search box that provides an easy way to do simple searches. You can narrow down the search results by using the
Advanced search functionality. This is accessible once the results of your search have been displayed.
Advanced search form you are able to query content by a number of attributes including: title, keywords, description, review state, creation date, content type and even author. The results of the search will display any content that is published for anyone that visits the website.
For More Information
In this Getting Started Guide we have covered some of the basic elements of using the website, such as adding and publishing content, searching for content, and altering your preferences to suit your needs, etc. Additional information about each of these topics can be found in other sections of the Support area. More information about Plone can be found in the Plone User Manual.