Exterior Sheathing System Improves Energy Efficiency
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
Composite Panel Building Systems announced the introduction of a new sheathing system that can improve the energy efficiency of existing buildings and homes, as well as new construction projects. The C-SIS exterior sheathing system combines insulation, an air/water barrier, structural components, and a water drainage plane into a compact panel that can be installed easily The post Exterior Sheathing System Improves Energy Efficiency appeared first on Green Building Elements .
Composite Panel Building Systems announced the introduction of a new sheathing system that can improve the energy efficiency of existing buildings and homes, as well as new construction projects. The C-SIS exterior sheathing system combines insulation, an air/water barrier, structural components, and a water drainage plane into a compact panel that can be installed easily over traditionally framed walls.
The C-SIS insulated sheathing system is designed to replace traditional plywood sheathing that is installed on the exterior of a framed and insulated wall. Traditionally, air/water barriers and, possibly, a rainscreen system, needed to be installed after the sheathing. The new panel system puts all these together, and includes an additional amount of insulation.
According to the CPBS web site, “The 1-1/8″ thick sheathing provides a nominal insulating value of R-6, which when added to a traditionally framed 2 x 4 wall with R-15 batt insulation, achieves an R-21 wall without the added expense of 6″ stud framing. The 2-1/8″ C-SIS sheathing provides an insulating value of R-12 so when coupled with conventional framing and insulation, it is easy to achieve an R-27 wall.” The extra insulation makes achieving advanced energy efficiency requirements easier.
The sheathing has a chemically sealed fiberglass reinforced composite skin that seals to the insulation during manufacturing, thus eliminating the risk of delamination. The skin is impervious to moisture and mold damage and no house wrap is needed.
“Everything architects and builders need in a sheathing product, the C-SIS System delivers and allows the process to be streamlined, speeding construction time, saving labor costs while increasing building performance,” said a CPBS spokesperson.
The system contributes to LEED and NAHB green building certifications. It meets 2012 energy code requirements and is made with no adhesives. According to the web site, the list of features and advantages of the system is quite extensive:
- Engineered to surpass new, stronger wind performance code criteria for high wind zones everywhere, by an improved method for braced wall construction
- Creates an air-tight exterior building envelope, delivering long-term sustainability
- Adds R-6 or R-12 insulation in only 1-1/8”or 2-1/8” thickness, respectively
- Complete air and water barrier, the FRT skin also serves as a vapor retarder
- Multi-tasking green building product that eliminates the need for additional materials and speeds exterior wall construction time
- Does not require any termite or insect treatments – the tight joint sealing and flashing system prohibits most insects from penetrating the wall system
- No adhesives are ever used in the manufacturing process which eliminates the possibility of delamination –a common problem in traditional sheathing
- Comprehensive fastening and joint sealing, developed with third-party manufacturers that is pre-integrated and matched to perform at high levels for decades
- Manufactured and tested to be installed and left unfinished for up to 180 days
- Easy to finish the exterior FRT skin with traditional finishing materials like brick, siding or stucco
- Eliminates costly thermal transfer, which is the conduction of hot or cool temperatures through wood and metal framing members
- Reduces required HVAC cooling load as much as 20-30% over conventionally constructed buildings
- Measurably decreases cooling and heating costs on any type of building and in any type of climate zone delivering substantial energy savings for the lifetime of the building
- Delivers an attractive payback and long-term return on investment
“The C-SIS System provides property owners tremendous benefits and has an even greater impact on monthly operating costs and maintenance on apartment buildings,” said a CPBS spokesperson. “As the pressure to conserve our natural resources continues to increase, architects, builders and home buyers will demand innovative solutions to reduce energy consumption. The high efficiency C-SIS System is the answer to achieve superior energy performance and long term sustainability in new construction projects and retrofits.”
Photos courtesy of Composite Panel Building Systems
The post Exterior Sheathing System Improves Energy Efficiency appeared first on Green Building Elements.