Highlights of Greenbuild NEXT 2011 in Toronto, Canada
Average Rating: ( 0 votes)
I arrived in Toronto, Canada this afternoon for Greenbuild 2011 called Greenbuild NEXT. This is the first time the biggest green building expo/conference is held outside the United States. Although the conferences has started today, I will not do a full coverage of the expo until tomorrow. As I took the public transpo to my... Read More...
I arrived in Toronto, Canada this afternoon for Greenbuild 2011 called Greenbuild NEXT. This is the first time the biggest green building expo/conference is held outside the United States. Although the conferences has started today, I will not do a full coverage of the expo until tomorrow.
As I took the public transpo to my hotel, (great public system Toronto, Love how easily accessible and simple the transit network is for passengers) I noticed te recycling bins everywhere including the subways where recycling bin outnumber the trash bin 2:1. What was even more amazing was the people took the time to put the recyclable in its correct place. I look forward to getting to know the city more and its sustainability efforts.
Back to the Greenbuild next #GBNEXT, there are myriad of exposition, workshops, green building tours and speakers to mention. Some of the highlights include
- The opening plenary with speakers including Tom Friedman, New York Times columnist; Cokie Roberts of ABC News; Right Honorable Kim Campbell, 19th prime minister of Canada and Global Leadership for Climate Action Member; Dr. Paul Farmer, Chair of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Partners in Health founder.
- Expo: the largest expo for green builders, architects, suppliers and companies. It will be a blast to meet some companies we have been covering on Green Building Elements and find new companies to cover. I look forward to seeing what kind of innovation some companies are conceptualizing and applying to their respective sectors.
- USGBC Workshops for LEED professionals with continuing education credit available to their respective professional accreditation. The full line up of workshop available on their website. Attendees can sign up using scheduler for the classes.
- Green Building Tours which include sustainable wineries near Niagra Falls, skyscrapers, renovated warehouses and downtown Toronto. Half day tour commences on Friday while full day tour commences on Saturday.
- Closing plenary with New York City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg and a visionary architect, John Picard.
The City of Toronto has been preparing for the world’s largest green building expo and conference all year and many as 30,000 attendees from all around the world are anticipated. USGBC has been working with Canada Green Building Council to host the GreenBuild 2011.