Personal tools
log in | join | help
Sections

Would You Eat Your Plant Pesticide?

by LiveModern Webmaster last modified Oct 18, 2012 01:00 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
by GBE FACTS last modified Oct 17, 2012

The Harvard School of Public Health has even found a direct correlation between pesticide exposure and Parkinson’s Disease1. If exposure to traditional pesticides has been found to cause serious disease, why would you want to eat fruits and vegetables that are sprayed with it?




 

 

When it comes to protecting your plants, there are a great number of differences between organic and traditional pesticides. You’ve likely heard a lot of buzz about the importance of organic gardening, but do you know why traditional pesticides are so bad?

Take a minute to watch this short clip about the differences between organic and traditional pesticides:

You’ll see from the video that traditional pesticides are not created from a natural formula found in nature. They are often produced in labs and chemical factories that are focused only on the product’s effectiveness, regardless of health hazards or environmental damage. There have been countless studies that unfortunately reveal the damaging effects to both humans and the environment as a result of many traditional pesticides that have been produced over the years.

One main problem with traditional pesticides is that after they effectively kill the intended plant or insect, the molecules within the pesticide don’t just disappear. In fact, they often disperse into the air or water and can remain active for long periods of time.

The organic pesticide, however, was created with natural components. The molecules simply do their job, then break down and disappear. That’s the reason that organic pesticides can be used on plants until the day of harvest. Unfortunately, the molecules from traditional pesticides can be dangerous not only to the insects and weeds they were designed for, but also to humans.

The Harvard School of Public Health has even found a direct correlation between pesticide exposure and Parkinson’s Disease. If exposure to traditional pesticides has been found to cause serious disease, why would you want to eat fruits and vegetables that are sprayed with it?

Not only are non-organic pesticides harmful to humans and the environment, but they can also damage the very farms they are used on. More specifically, “Persistent pesticide use over long periods of time results in lower crop yields, reduced soil fertility, and increased susceptibility to attack by new forms of pests and disease.2

So what can you do to avoid the negative effects of traditional pesticides? Buy organic products! And if you’re a gardener, use organic pesticide products that are OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) certified. Make sure to use organic products for insecticide and pest control as well. Using OMRI-certified products helps keep our environment safe, and our bodies free from the negative effects of traditional pesticides.

Using an organic pesticide product on our gardens is a small action with big benefits. Do your part and go green today!

Post written by Shane Patrick Jones, an environmental activist and supporter of locally grown products.  He blogs about organic products and supports those companies that serve the cause well.



 

 

 
 
 

Website migration, maintenance and customization provided by Grafware.