by Suresh V last modified Mar 21, 2008 08:45 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

New version of visual editor installed

Posted by Suresh V at November 19. 2007

Kupu 1.4.4 supports Safari

Re: New version of visual editor installed

Posted by Member Account at November 19. 2007
it's not working for me, either on Mac or PC, latest version of Safari installed. No tool bar. Looks just as it did before. Marshall

Posted by Suresh V at November 19. 2007

The release notes say: needs webkit nightly build and Safari 3

Not sure what the webkit nightly build is. Will try to find out.

Posted by Member Account at November 19. 2007

OK, it works (I'm using the visual editor now). I've tested for the Mac only, but I assume it also works for the Windows version of Safari. Here's what you have to do on a Mac:

1. Download the webkit nightly build. Note that this is development software, so proceed only if you are comfortable.

2. After installation, you actually use the webkit application, instead of Safari, to actually access LiveModern. It's a browser based on Safari, only a little different.

I assume that webkit functionality will eventually make it into Safari. For now, it works but it is not integrated with the default Mac OS browser.

Marshall

Posted by Jamie Stotz at November 19. 2007
Marshal, I would like to expand/clarify the points you made in your last post. Webkit is an open source browser engine. That is, the guts of a web browser that is responsible for loading and displaying the web pages that you visit. Apple's Safari browser is, and always was, built around the Webkit engine. The Webkit engine is under active development by the contributors to the Webkit project, which means that it is being constantly worked on, improved, and debugged. When Apple releases a version of Safari, it is based on a snapshot of the then current Webkit. Because Webkit is so closely integrated into the Mac OS, it's also used by Mail, Dashboard, and other applications, Apple has to be very sure they're using a good stable version. Therefore, they don't update it very often, unless there's a serious bug. However, Webkit development continues day after day and eventually the version that's in Safari gets left behind until Apple releases a new version. The nightly builds are the absolute newest version of the Webkit engine. They have features, and bug fixes ( and sometines new bugs) that Apple hasn't yet incorporated into Safari. So by downloading the nightly builds, you are getting some new features and bug fixes but at the small risk of breaking something else. That is why it is run as a separate application; it would be to dangerous to plug the nightly builds directly into Safari and the rest of the system. Jamie

Posted by Marshall Mayer at November 20. 2007

Jamie,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation of WebKit. I was in a hurry yesterday as I was on the road for the holiday. The bottom line is that to use kupu, the visual editor, and you are a regular Safari user, you can use WebKit instead of Safari. 

I was expecting this to be fixed in the final release of Safari for Leopard, but I guess the improvement did not make it in time. So, I'll just switch to WebKit as my browser. It's working exactly as I would expect Safari to.

Marshall

Posted by Bonnie Lambert at December 08. 2007

I'm using Safari 3.0.4 on a Mac (OS X 10.4.11) and I can use the visual editor, no changes needed. I noticed that I had to click on the "edit with visual editor" that I saw underneath the Text Body area of my home page, and then after that kupu is my default. 

Bonnie.

Posted by Marshall Mayer at March 21. 2008

I've also loaded Safari 3.1 (just released) and the visual editor now works on my computer. No Webkit needed. Hooray!

Marshall