Personal tools
Sections

good architects/designers for small renovations

by Amy Smith last modified Oct 01, 2006 08:22 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Re: good architects/designers for small renovations

Posted by Kirk J at March 13. 2006

$50k is tight. In the current construction boom, it's very hard to find help. Finding a designer with sustainable practices is even harder. In a townhouse/condo reno, there's not a whole lot that can be done. You can't do big things like put up a green roof or trap grey water. You can pick materials though -- things like formaldehyde-free cabinets and flooring, low off-gasing paint, radiant heating. For that, I don't know if you'd necessarily need a specialized designer.

With the tight labour market, trades are being extremely picky on what jobs they take on. You need a designer that has lots of ties and can pull in a lot of favours.

Congrats on finding a townhouse in this hot market. Good luck with the commute. So, you're building a sustainable townhouse so that you can commute by car 5 hours everyday? You should hear the anti-bridge/sprawl debates up here. Just kidding!! :laugh: Welcome to Vancouver.

Re: good architects/designers for small renovations

Posted by Greg Beaudin at October 01. 2006

any luck with your renovation? and finding the right person(s) to do the job?

we are about to start a renovation project on a Mid-Century Modern Fred Hollingsworth home.

any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

BTW: I have an architect that understands the philosophy of design and budget that we are after...

cheers
Modern1