Personal tools
Sections

Some Assembly Required

by John Paulsen last modified Aug 21, 2006 04:26 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Some Assembly Required

Posted by John Paulsen at August 17. 2006

Has anybody got any feedback on the Some Assembly Required exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery? Would it be worth traveling up from Seattle to check it out? And if I do come up to BC any suggestions on other locations worth visiting (particulary creative infill projects).

Thanks!
John

Re: Some Assembly Required

Posted by Shy SoJo at August 18. 2006

I live in Seattle and we went up to BC to see this exhibit. I do not recommend it. There were no model homes displayed. it's just pictures and videos (vidoes were shows taped from DYI channel. You prob will get more info from this site. Admission was $15 and we were only there for 45 min. and we were done with teh exhibit.

Shy

Posted by Dan Vargas at August 21. 2006

I agree. If you were going just to see that exhibit and if you were looking for more information than what you can already find online, then it would be fairly dissappointing.

Posted by Marshall Mayer at August 21. 2006
Gee, I hate to be contrary, but when was the last time that you went to an art gallery/museum (except the National Building Museum) expecting to see an actual production home on display (except an Adam Kalkin home, which is kewl but not a production home)?

If never, is that a reason to be dissapointed at what Some Assembly Required is providing?

I can't tell you how many people have contacted me with an enthusiastic response to the show (the Minneapolis or Vancouver iterations), their first introduction to "prefab." Of course, if you are already on this site that may not include you, but by and large the show should be considered a great success.

Marshall