Personal tools
Sections

Modern in Vancouver

by Marshall Mayer last modified Aug 02, 2006 11:07 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern in Vancouver

Posted by Marshall Mayer at August 11. 2005
I'm wondering if anyone in Vancouver can point me to great examples of modern homes in your wonderful city.

I say wonderful, with the caveat that I've never been there before. Only heard very many good things about Vancouver. I will be there in mid-Ocxtober in conjunction with the Glidehouse at the Vancouver Home Show. I'd also like to point others to fine examples of Vancouver Modern, as many people will be coming up from the states to your fair city for the show.

So, if you have examples (pics would be great, street addresses would be fantastic) of modern residential architecture in Vancouver (prefab or not), please let me know here. I'm really looking forward to some frantastic arachitecture. TIA.

Marshall

Re: Modern in Vancouver

Posted by Peter Chen at September 24. 2005

Hi Marshall,

Seems that no one from Vancouver has replied to your post. There are quite a few Modernist Architects and their projects in the Vancouver area. These names come to mind. Of course, it is not a complete list, just the names I am aware of.

Battersby Howat
Patkau Architects
Bing Thom
Arthur Erikson
Peter Busby
Christopher Boyzk
Peter Cardew
James Cheng

and many many others. You can Google the names and find the respective Websites. You can also contact the AIBC. www.aibc.ca

I am looking forward to the Glidehouse at the Home show myself.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Mayer at September 25. 2005
Peter,

Thanks so much for these references. I'll do a bit of research. And please introduce yourself at the Home Show.

Marshall

Posted by steven cox at September 27. 2005

Marshall,

I just wanted to let you and others know that we have designed the stage and wine bar at the show this year. It is a new addition to the Home Show and should help to add a higher level of design and comfort. It also happens to be located just behind the Glidehouse...very convenient. Looking forward to it. I will try to attach image below.

See you there.

Steven Cox
Creative Director
www.causeandaffect.com

Attachments

Posted by Kirk J at October 03. 2005

If you don't want to limit yourself to houses, I recommend visiting areas like Yaletown, False Creek, and Coal Harbour. All these places were urban infill projects. They're all condos.

The show is close to the public library. It's a bit of a controversy, but it's an interesting building.

The big local newspaper ran a feature on Glidehouse this weekend.

- Kirk.

Posted by Kirk J at October 07. 2005

This week's Georgia Straight has a pull out with a Glidehouse article.

[url href=http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=13347]http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=13347[/url]

The print article is nicely formatted with photos.

- Kirk.

Re: Modern in Vancouver-WestCoastModern

Posted by Greg Beaudin at August 02. 2006

to throw out a few more Modernist names from the West Coast.

Fred Hollingsworth
Russel Hollingsworth
Brian Hemingway
Ron Thom

There is some great books out on North Shore Modern.

The Poetics of West Coast Modernism
A History of North Vancouver 1935-1965

these books feature many of the aforementioned architects.

[url href=http://www.westcoastmodern.com]http://www.westcoastmodern.com[/url]