Personal tools
Sections

Intro

by LiveModern Webmaster last modified Jul 01, 2006 02:24 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Intro

Posted by Lee Saber at June 14. 2006

My name is Lee and I want to introduce myself on the SLC forum. I am a true devotee of midcentury modern design and the ethics and aesthetics that flow from it. Neutra, A. Quincey Jones, Ellwood, Soriano, Eames, Koenig and many of the other architects and designers who participated in the Case Study House series sponsored by Arts and Architecture are included among those who I admire most. Upon moving back to SLC after a long period away (in Austin, Texas), I made it a priority to find a mid-century modern home to buy. It was an arduous process. After tremendous effort and persistence (knocking on doors of houses I liked, but which were not for sale), I ended up purchasing a classic 1952 midcentury modern home designed by Ed Dreier, an architect who was prominent among Salt Lake's early midcentury modernists. It was worth the effort, and is truly special. Though I practice law and have a design/build development company, I am currently expanding my scope to pre-fab designs that are sensibly priced and ecologically sound. Although centrally located land is scarce, and there still remains a local negative stigma associated with ugly little flat roof houses, I believe there is a viable market for a demographic that simply cannot stomach the stucco/faux stone McMansions.

Glad to talk to you all, and I look forward to many thoughtful exchanges on the topic.

Re: Intro

Posted by Creede Fitch at June 15. 2006

Lee, welcome to Livemodern. Where abouts did you end up buying a home. I am always looking for good MCM homes to drive past and drool about.

With your design build company, are you the GC or do you have someone else?

Re: Intro

Posted by brent jespersen at July 01. 2006

lee

i'd love to see your drier house.

i have a friend who has one in the mt. olympus area.
he did a great job on his restoration.

there is a really great one on wasatch over here by me in emigration canyon.

who will be doing your prefab building?
i have talked with the iron town guys in provo on doing mine.
there seems to be a good market for these projects.

it's fuuny you were in austin.
i grew up in houston and spent a lot of time there.
great town.

slc decent too.

talk to you soon.