Personal tools
Sections

Modern Furniture in Utah?

by bryce last modified May 30, 2013 01:42 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern Furniture in Utah?

Posted by bryce at January 31. 2007
I'm on the hunt for a few pieces of modern furniture for our recently remodeled home. I've been to a number of the usual suspects here in town- Light Spot, Lofgrens, Modern Materials. Any suggestions for other good modern furniture stores in and around SLC?

Re: Modern Furniture in Utah?

Posted by Heather at February 12. 2007

Those are definately great staple stores for modern furniture.  I would also suggest By Design (also on Highland) ---quality so so---.  If you're looking for used modern classics check out Green Ant in Sugarhouse, the owner Ron is very knowleadgable and a great resource.  I'm sure you've heard that Ikea will be opening in spring 2007 in Draper.  Not sure what price range you're looking for...Light Spot is for sure the top of the line and just gorgeous product!  I always think catalogs are a great resource, DWR at the top - some of the items can also be purchased at Light Spot.   If you're patient enough, Seattle's modern store Diva has a huge annual clearance sale on their collection from B&B to Kartell in the fall.  That's just off the top of my head...hope that's helpful.

Posted by bryce at February 15. 2007

Thanks for the tip on Green Ant- I've not heard of them before. Catalogs seem to be the best route for now. I just ordered a few pieces from DWR for my office in San Francisco and  they were great. Did not have a good experience with Hive Modern as they have a terrible return policy for some of the pieces- read the fine print! I had a few custom pieces made by David at Ohio Design which is based in the Mission (www.ohiodesign.com) and they turned out beautiful . SLC is another story ;). The search continues...b

Posted by Heather at February 15. 2007

Yes traveling is a must to live in Salt Lake! Have you checked out the plans for the Frank Gehry multi-use project in Lehi.  There's still hope for modern design movement for Utah.

I imagine you've heard of Limn in San Fran, if not, it's a must! I had never heard of Ohio Design but just checked it out ...nice! Here is a list of some other inspiring stores and links for your pleasure...

www.designaddict.com, www.luminaire.com, www.firstdibs.com (check out mid century modern and french modern pieces), www.bludot.com, www.tuckerrobbins.com, www.fabprefab.com (another must!), http://www.architecturalpottery.com.  Enjoy!

Posted by Don Gardner at February 27. 2007

Previously bryce wrote:

Thanks for the tip on Green Ant- I've not heard of them before. Catalogs seem to be the best route for now. I just ordered a few pieces from DWR for my office in San Francisco and  they were great. Did not have a good experience with Hive Modern as they have a terrible return policy for some of the pieces- read the fine print! I had a few custom pieces made by David at Ohio Design which is based in the Mission (www.ohiodesign.com) and they turned out beautiful . SLC is another story ;). The search continues...b

I think you might be surprised by the S Gallery in St. George.  We are capable of making most types of furniture.  We specialize in Contemporary, Western, Cowboy and Southwestern furnishings.  We also carry some art and accessories.  Our website is www.sgallery.us .  If you have pictures or drawings of a piece you like I would be happy to take a look. Don

Posted by Michael Sligting at March 12. 2007
Does anyone have contact information or the address for Modern Materials?

Posted by bryce at March 20. 2007

They are at the corner of Highland Dr. and 13th East

Posted by brent jespersen at March 27. 2007
poliform slc 801.583.1516 2384 South West Temple slc, utah 84115 my life, my style

Posted by Thomas Davies at July 26. 2012

Good grief as a visitor to Utah to see my wife's family I stop at the DI on Ogden every time and 10 of 10 times there is a mid century modern table, desk, cabinet, or chair that is amazing. I think there was an Eames oe AMes chair their last time before I knew what that was.  It must be old cheap Mormons that hold onto stuff forever to stay thrifty. Then get rid of it in their 80's. I say find the outer regional DI and look. There be throw back gold in them there hills! 

Sorry id this is DUH normal in Utah. I live in VA.

Posted by Scott Griffin at May 30. 2013
Previously bryce wrote:
I'm on the hunt for a few pieces of modern furniture for our recently remodeled home. I've been to a number of the usual suspects here in town- Light Spot, Lofgrens, Modern Materials. Any suggestions for other good modern furniture stores in and around SLC?

Bryce,

If you don't mind doing some online shopping as well than I might have a really good furniture store for you to check out. There is a furniture company called Four Chairs Furniture and they are located in Lindon in Utah County. Kind of near SLC but still quite a drive. They do have a website http://4-chairs.com/ and you can check them out online and see what styles of furniture they have. They have furniture that I don't find at other stores. I love shopping on here and I get about 2 - 3 items on their site every other month or so. I love shopping for furniture and I hope they have what your looking for.