Personal tools
Sections

Pivot door

by Jason Hammond last modified Mar 12, 2007 09:09 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
Click to change your rating: (not rated)
  worthless bad average good great

Pivot door

Posted by Jason Hammond at December 02. 2006
Does anyone know of an afforadable resource for both interior and exterior modern pivot doors. We are building a modern home in St. Paul. We are working with an architect and a trsuted builder but my wife and I are both design professionals and want to be involved a great deal in the design planning but finding resources has been a challenge. Jason

Re: Pivot door

Posted by Splatgirl at December 07. 2006

I can't answer your question specifically but it would suprise me a great deal to learn of any "affordable" commercially produced pivot doors simply because they're so atypical.  That doesn't mean that you couldn't have something custom made for a reasonable price if you're willing to look around, however.  Perhaps try searching online for the hardware...?  Maybe also try commercial storefront manufacturers as this is the application where pivot doors are most common.

I do know that there are siginificant concerns with using pivot doors on the exterior in a climate like ours because, as I understand, they are extrememly difficult to make weathertight.

As far as interior pivot doors go, a little ingenuity goes a long way and it's a pretty basic concept that I imagine wouldn't be too difficult to execute once you've got the specifics figured out.  This is the kind of thing that pretty much became my third full time job during our build (right behind being the GC and designer) and it's a great way to get what you want at the right price!  Design and build them yourself or draw to spec and have them made. 

Posted by Jason Hammond at December 22. 2006

Previously Splatgirl wrote:

I can't answer your question specifically but it would suprise me a great deal to learn of any "affordable" commercially produced pivot doors simply because they're so atypical.  That doesn't mean that you couldn't have something custom made for a reasonable price if you're willing to look around, however.  Perhaps try searching online for the hardware...?  Maybe also try commercial storefront manufacturers as this is the application where pivot doors are most common.

I do know that there are siginificant concerns with using pivot doors on the exterior in a climate like ours because, as I understand, they are extrememly difficult to make weathertight.

As far as interior pivot doors go, a little ingenuity goes a long way and it's a pretty basic concept that I imagine wouldn't be too difficult to execute once you've got the specifics figured out.  This is the kind of thing that pretty much became my third full time job during our build (right behind being the GC and designer) and it's a great way to get what you want at the right price!  Design and build them yourself or draw to spec and have them made. 

Posted by Jason Hammond at December 22. 2006

Thanks.  I've found the hardware my question or concern was also with the weathertight factor. Seems to be that it can be done and it's not our only thought for a front door but would like to know more about the possibilities.

Would love to hear more about your experience with GCing your own home.

Posted by Yuri Morales at March 09. 2007

Jason, I have a 45" opening for the door to a master bedroom, and am looking at using a pivot door. Could you share what tipe of hardware and door you are going to be using and if you have any suggestions for me? Thanks, Yuri

Posted by Jason Hammond at March 12. 2007
I'm not doing the pivot door now as our architect and Splatgirl have both convinced me of it's lack of compatibility with our northern climate.