Personal tools
Sections

Cost of building in MN

by Millhouse last modified Jul 10, 2007 07:14 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 1 votes)

Cost of building in MN

Posted by Millhouse at June 28. 2007

I need a little clarifying on this whole cost to build issue.  I understand that this varies greatly so maybe only people from Mn. should respond.  I know there are handfulls of you out there right now.  I keep hearing I can build for about a hundred bucks a sq. ft., but everytime I see a house going up it is around 350 a sq. ft.  So how much is it costing you guys?

Re: Cost of building in MN

Posted by Eric Olson at June 30. 2007
According to my father, a contractor who has worked in the area since the mid 60s, the average in MN is around $250 a sqft. You'll notice I said average. This is taking into consideration the low cost 'builder-beige' homes that populate the expanding suburbs and conversely the one off custom monsters in areas like Minnetonka. So in there, somewhere, you hit $250. The $100 per sqft. you mention will be tough, or even impossible, unless you handle much of the labor yourself. Labor in MN isn't through the roof, but it's not as low as areas like Austin TX so it's a driving factor. All of the usuals figure in too - simplicity of design, your willingness to compromise, finish quality etc... Are you planning to build soon?

Posted by Millhouse at June 30. 2007

Previously Eric Olson wrote:

According to my father, a contractor who has worked in the area since the mid 60s, the average in MN is around $250 a sqft. You'll notice I said average. This is taking into consideration the low cost 'builder-beige' homes that populate the expanding suburbs and conversely the one off custom monsters in areas like Minnetonka. So in there, somewhere, you hit $250.

The $100 per sqft. you mention will be tough, or even impossible, unless you handle much of the labor yourself. Labor in MN isn't through the roof, but it's not as low as areas like Austin TX so it's a driving factor. All of the usuals figure in too - simplicity of design, your willingness to compromise, finish quality etc...

Are you planning to build soon?

Thank you for responding .  Yes??? I am planning on building soon.  I am/have been remodeling homes for the past 7 or so years and would like to try my hand at new construction. The problem as I'm sure everybody knows is there are just so many chicken vs. egg situations with new construction. Remodeling is easy we know what comes first...   everyone seems so secretive when it comes to new stuff, Which I understand.  People rarely want to talk specs, they want to talk avrg.   The whole thing is just very complex( or I am very simple).

Posted by Kyle Sandstrom at July 02. 2007

In Rochester, I think it's safe around $100 sf. Again really depends on your specs and what you want to build. But I had a friend who built a house entirely from concrete, geothermal, etc and was around $100 sf and really high end.

Posted by Millhouse at July 02. 2007

Kyle , thanks for responding. It sounds like your friend built the dream.    Green modern and affordable.  The holy grail.  Any photos???

Posted by Kyle Sandstrom at July 02. 2007

Yeah he's actually selling it if you want to buy it :)

http://www.semnrealtors.com/Default.aspx?tabid=40&bc=1,2&vw=dtl&qs=sp&h=1&lid=N0Idm3pgyl0%3d&lndx=2&rppg=10&digest=pgvzqvFoZWxpdgtEXRSx+g

It's not completely modern, especially the exterior in appearance, but the construction methods and technology used definately are.

Posted by Steven at July 05. 2007

Kyle.  Have any more info on the construction method(icf?).   $100 sq/ft sounds very cheap for concrete construction.  That was a finished price?  Did your friend contract it himself? Is he in the biz?  I'd like to know the builder.  They can build mine for that!

Posted by Kyle Sandstrom at July 06. 2007

Yeah he used Reward Walls for the ICF and Speedflor for the concrete trusses/floors. I think Wirsbo for the radiant heat. Yeah taht was the finished price. Maybe a little above $100/sf but right around there. He subcontracted it out himself, I think doing that type of home it's hard to find a builder who will get on board without charging you $$$

Posted by Splatgirl at July 06. 2007
Have you read my blog? http://moderninmn.blogspot.com At the very least you'd get an idea of what building our sub $100 sq/ft house was/is like. I tend to keep an eye on construction and real estate prices and I think the $250 figure is bordering on or high-ish end more so than average for around here.

Posted by Steven at July 07. 2007

Splat, I'm not sure I have the knowledge to contract it myself.  Of course I've seen your blog, you did a great job!  When is the twin cities open house????!!!

Posted by Splatgirl at July 07. 2007

I was suggesting it as a read for the OP.  You, SL, have been around a while and have certainly heard more than enough of my blathering on :)

I walk past your place with my dog quite regularly and keep hoping to see some action.  How's it going?
You know, since I am within walking distance, you could always hire me as consultant/site supervisor/on-call ass-kicker.  I'm dying for a chance to NOT make some of the mistakes I made with our project :)

I'm thinking maybe sometime this fall for an open house but I'm also thinking we need a few weeks of motorcycling in Europe this fall and those two things may not be compatible...

Posted by Steven at July 08. 2007

I didnt know you were that close to Ridgewood Road.  I'd like to get some ideas from you and your husband sometime.  The stepped down lot should be good for a pool ;) and 3 levels.

Posted by Steven at July 10. 2007

I just read an HGTVpro article about concrete sips and low and behold there is a shotcrete panel building system company right in Minneapolis.  I never heard of them before, only solarcrete, tridipanel, M2 etc...

Article:

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/nws_ind_nws_trends/article/0,2624,HPRO_26519_5608823,00.html

Minneapolis Company:

http://volcanwall.com/construction/index.php