Personal tools
Sections

Modernism in Lincoln & Omaha?

by Dennis Stevens last modified Feb 18, 2008 09:13 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modernism in Lincoln & Omaha?

Posted by Dennis Stevens at August 06. 2005

My wife and I are investigating the purchase of a second home in the Lincoln/Omaha area. I am interested in locating a realtor who specializes in modern properties in Nebraska. Any ideas?

Also, quite naturally, if there are any modern homes coming onto the market in these areas, we are interested.

Thanks.

Re: Modernism in Lincoln & Omaha?

Posted by Matt Roberts at August 07. 2005

Hello...
I do not know of any realtor who specializes in modern homes per se, at least here in Omaha (I cannot say for Lincoln).
The homes exist, but it is not as big a niche as say in: So Cal, Chicago Land or Austin. My wife and I have driven through countless neighborhoods looking for something cool...you just have to kind of do it yourself. There are some MCMs and some sort of 1970's Colorado Modern (very angular, high roof lines, dark wood, you know the look), and some more recent things...but it is all very scattered.
There is a neighborhood in an area called Indian Hills that has about 10 to 20 MCMs mixed in with maybe a dozen regular houses. (This area is is just SE of 90th and Dodge). That is the largest concentration of modern homes in one defined area that I have found, the rest are just random throughout the city.
What is your timetable? There is local nationaly recogognized architect who is going to build a dozen or so modern homes in a triangle of land inside a big forested park with a lake...but it is probably at least 18 months from completion.
Hope this helps...
Matt

Posted by Dennis Stevens at August 08. 2005

Thanks. This is good info to start.

We are hoping to buy something this year as we need the tax deduction. We intend to visit the area in October. Your info supplied here will get us started. Until then, I will continue to watch this thread for future developments and info.

~Dennis

Posted by Chris Smithberg at February 18. 2008
Dennis, Hi, have you considered building a modern house for yourself? There are some young modern designers in Omaha itching for an opportunity to see a modern house through completion (myself included). I'm just curious. There are so many bad houses in good areas that one could quite easily scrape and build on. Chris