Personal tools
Sections

by Chris Smithberg last modified Sep 08, 2011 09:39 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 1 votes)

Posted by Chris Smithberg at June 05. 2007

Hi everyone.  New member here.  Educated in architecture, now doing it on my own along with modern furniture design and fabrication.  I'm interested in midwest mod, particularly in Omaha.  I want to contribute to the movement!

Re: New member

Posted by Marshall Mayer at June 05. 2007

Chris,

Welcome to LiveModern. It's probably kinda lonely for a modernist in Omaha (I grew up in Des Moines, not all that far away). Maybe you could post some pics of homes near you (not necessarily those that you've designed!) that reflect your aesthetic.

I was in Iowa last spring and photographed the three houses that are on either side if the (Better Homes and Garden Plan #13 home from 1954, pretty traditional) house that my parents built in 1955 and still live in. See appended photos. The rest of the neighborhood is filled with more traditional designs, so I guess this is where I started to acquire my modern aesthetic.

Marshall

Attachments

Posted by Chris Smithberg at June 05. 2007

I am only in the design phase of a house I'm working on with a friend.  Modern housing in Omaha is an uphill battle.  There are few examples of really good modernist homes in Omaha, and I'm sure they've been posted before.

Posted by Andy Dykhouse at July 01. 2010

Chris, I would love to chat modernism in Omaha.  I hope to make some minor changes to my own home soon.  Are you still designing moderns homes?

Posted by Chris Smithberg at September 08. 2011

Previously Andy Dykhouse wrote:

Chris, I would love to chat modernism in Omaha.  I hope to make some minor changes to my own home soon.  Are you still designing moderns homes?

Andy,

Not sure if you are around.  I frankly quit checking posts on this website.  I will check more often to see if you still frequent the site.....

Chris