Personal tools
Sections

'54 BH&G Home for All America

by Robert Searcy last modified Apr 23, 2011 08:38 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

'54 BH&G Home for All America

Posted by Robert Searcy at August 05. 2005

In 1954 Better Homes and Gardens did a national promotion with a great MCM style house they built and showed across the country. The whole article is downloaded on www.glenbrookvalley.com. The home was built in Tulsa at 4225 South Oswego and at 635 North Zenophr.

Anybody familiar with these areas, homes, and their current state?

Re: '54 BH&G Home for All America

Posted by JRD at August 15. 2007

I believe the neighborhood you are referring to is known as Lortondale in Tulsa.

The houses look OK today, not in the most desirable part of Tulsa, but the modernists that live in the homes have tried very hard to keep the neighborhood up.  Many houses have suffered from terrible remodeling but its a good neighborhood overall.

more info here...

http://www.lortondale.com/

Posted by Shane Hood at April 02. 2009

Actually that is not the neighborhood. Lortondale was designed by Tulsa architect Donald Honn.  The Lortondale houses are very desirable and usually sell very quickly with mulitple interested parties.  About 8 or so of the 300 houses have suffered from terrible remodeling. That is a negligible number when talking about mid-century neighborhoods. Matter of fact one of the oustanding parts of Lortondale and a big reason it will be on the National Register is that it is still in great shape with the majority of houses still intact.

I have been the president for the past 4 years, this is my blog www.lortondale.blogspot.com

Now back to the original question at least one of the Houses for all America is still here. The Zenophr address doesn't show up in any searches, and when i mean doesn't show up there is no street with that name.

I am trying to locate the other house.

Posted by natasha vigil at March 04. 2010

Previously Robert Searcy wrote:

<a href="http://www.familyleisure.com/Oklahoma-City/Casual-Patio-Furniture">Oklahoma City Patio Furniture</a>

Yes, my mom was inspired in this brochure, she took some ideas from the article: "The Young Homemaker", and for her decoration she selected the Rock Maple furniture as well.

Her patio furniture was unique and amazing with this combination of ideas and inspirational thoughts.

In 1954 Better Homes and Gardens did a national promotion with a great MCM style house they built and showed across the country. The whole article is downloaded on www.glenbrookvalley.com. The home was built in Tulsa at 4225 South Oswego and at 635 North Zenophr.

Anybody familiar with these areas, homes, and their current state?

Posted by Steve Randall at April 23. 2011

I'm moving to OKC from Dallas in the next few months.  I'm needing any info anyone has for modern homes.  Thinking best option may be to purchase land then build, but open to any suggestions.  I just can't find a home that isn't your typical crap.  Any guidance appreciated.