Personal tools
Sections

Welcome to Oklahoma Modernists

by Marshall Mayer last modified Aug 07, 2011 08:07 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Welcome to Oklahoma Modernists

Posted by Marshall Mayer at November 20. 2004

This is the new home for the Oklahoma Modernists discussion. For posts entered before November 19, 2004, please look here. In any case, please post your new questions/comments here.

Re: Welcome to Oklahoma Modernists

Posted by Christie Fleuridas Owen at July 09. 2007

I am looking for an architect and builder in the OKC metro area / Edmond / Deer Creek. My husband and I have been looking at our options; buy an existing property and remodel or build a new home. We have scoured the internet looking at builders and real estate. We have found slim pickings... no surprise. French country, rustic, olde world / however you want to describe it dominates the housing market. Prefab at $200 + SQ.FT. is ridiculous... that is out. The 70's contemporary homes are too brady bunch... even though there is one flat roof in the PC school district w/ an impeccable interior and pool under contract that is very appealing. There is also a builder, Jeff Click who is moving towards "metropolitan" and we may be able to custom finish the home and modify the floor in an effort to get the essence of modern. However, we have to select from one of the institutionalized neighborhoods offered and that is ugly and cramped. Our dream is have a little land, 2500+Sq FT, a modern/minimalist/Frank Lloyd inspired/energy efficient home. So, we are on a quest... We'll keep you posted.

Attachments

Posted by Jason at July 30. 2007

Talk to David Wanzer - he posts on this board. I am from Oklahoma City and I have not see a good modern house that isn't $1 million there.

Posted by melinda johnson at August 29. 2007

You might also check out Brian Fitzsimmons, a licensed architect, practicing in OKC.  Website: www.fitzsimmons-arch.com.  His home is modern, and he's got another cool modern project underway.

Posted by melinda johnson at August 29. 2007

Also, I believe the Fitzsimmons Residence was well under 1 million.

Posted by japousonian at September 27. 2007

Previously Christie Fleuridas Owen wrote:

I am looking for an architect and builder in the OKC metro area / Edmond / Deer Creek. My husband and I have been looking at our options; buy an existing property and remodel or build a new home. We have scoured the internet looking at builders and real estate. We have found slim pickings... no surprise. French country, rustic, olde world / however you want to describe it dominates the housing market. Prefab at $200 + SQ.FT. is ridiculous... that is out. The 70's contemporary homes are too brady bunch... even though there is one flat roof in the PC school district w/ an impeccable interior and pool under contract that is very appealing. There is also a builder, Jeff Click who is moving towards "metropolitan" and we may be able to custom finish the home and modify the floor in an effort to get the essence of modern. However, we have to select from one of the institutionalized neighborhoods offered and that is ugly and cramped. Our dream is have a little land, 2500+Sq FT, a modern/minimalist/Frank Lloyd inspired/energy efficient home. So, we are on a quest... We'll keep you posted.

Christie,

I feel your pain. Edmond is controlled by repulsive people with bad taste. Dallas style and Country French homes pollute the city. Please speak to me before consulting with any locally recommended architects. I can put you in contact with several gentlemen that are reasonably priced and understand Organic architecture. One of the architects that I speak of was a Taliesin Fellow. I can also help you with your land issue. I am preparing to purchase a large section of unplatted land in central Edmond. I only require a single acre for my Usonian house and would be interested in splitting the remainder for resale. There is actually enough land for several modern homes. Contact me if you are interested. R. Todd Dean japousonian@yahoo.com

Posted by Jay Yowell at May 04. 2011

Yes, Edmond and OKC homes are not known for their innovation.  However, below is a story on a home showing what can and should be done here.  And it was well under a million dollars.

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-1123-attorney-jim-roth-turned-an-%5Cenvironmental-hazard%5C-into-the-home-of-his-eco-friendly-dreams.html