Personal tools
Sections

Building-Integrated Photovoltaics?

by Don Chartier last modified Dec 05, 2013 08:05 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 28 votes)

Building-Integrated Photovoltaics?

Posted by Don Chartier at May 05. 2006

I'd like to go solar for a new house I plan to build this summer/fall, but I'm not crazy about the tack-on look of most photovoltaic panels, so I've been investigating building-integrated photovoltaics (BIPV). The idea behind BIPV is that you can integrate the PV panels into the design of the house, say, by making them part of the glazing. I'm not particularly worried about squeezing every watt out of the installation since this will house will only be occupied part time and I can sell electricity back to the grid at retail.

So far, this looks like an expensive option. The extremely cool ASI-Thru panels/windows (www.us.schott.com/architecture) are $65/sf + $5,000 shipping from Germany, so those might have to wait until I win the lottery.

I've also talked to Atlantis Energy (www.atlantisenergy.org), who seem like great guys. They can provide panels that can be then embedded into glazing. The drawbacks with their system are that you'd need a glazing fabricator to make the windows, they aren't yet UL-certified and they're not as good-looking as the ASI/Schott stuff. We haven't gotten to pricing this out yet.

Any other experiences/suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Building-Integrated Photovoltaics?

Posted by richierod at May 06. 2006

><br>Check out www.pugh-scarpa.com
> <br>]
> <br>Larry built a house using the solar panels as part of the structure.(Roof over 2nd story, part of the south-facing wall.) It's a great house and ingenious use of the panels.
> <br>
> -R.<br><br/>

Re: Building-Integrated Photovoltaics?

Posted by John Rosenberg at September 22. 2007

Take a look at uni-solar adhesive flexible panels.  http://www.uni-solar.com/interior.asp?id=102

they add no profile to your roof.