Personal tools
Sections

solar panels - a basic installation

by Hendry last modified Nov 30, 2007 01:02 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

solar panels - a basic installation

Posted by Hendry at January 31. 2007

I am interested in installing panels only - no batteries - just to suppliment the grid power.  I would like to plan it so that it my grow over the years as well.  Any experience or advice to share? 

Is this close to a DIY project?

Re: solar panels - a basic installation

Posted by Krista Atkins Nutter at April 07. 2007

You can check out my blog to see photos of our recent PV installation.  www.nutterresidence.blogspot.com  We have a 4.4 kw, grid tied system with 22 GE panels on our 2300 sf house.  Could be a DIY project unless you live in a state with incentive money available.  Our state offers a grant, but requires that all systems are installed by a certified PV installer.  Basically the components include the mounting system (depends on the type of substrate and location), panels, wiring, conduit, inverter, PV production meter, DC disconnect, and a utility meter that runs in both directions.  We had a newer digital meter on our house that needed to be replaced with an older disc style meter.  The digital one would not go backwards duing our production times. 

The PV system hooks to your existing electrical panel through a 20 amp double pole breaker. 

Any specific questions?

Re: solar panels - a basic installation

Posted by Hendry at November 30. 2007

Krista,

It has been a long while, but I will ask a few questions...

did you design your system?  was it a 'package'?