Sections

Residential Specifications_Austin, Texas

by Universal Constructor last modified Sep 20, 2007 02:40 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Residential Specifications_Austin, Texas

Posted by Universal Constructor at January 12. 2007

List.

We are putting together Specifications for a residence here in Austin and are looking for suggestions on high value, ease of use and energy efficient mechanical systems/technology.

Primarily we are interested in suggestions for Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning Systems/Units, plastic DWV systems and Hot Water Heaters.Advice regarding specific units or manufacturers for our Hot-Humid Hygrothermal zone are also welcome. We are also interested in hearing from anyone using "greywater" collection systems or roof mounted solar units.

This is going to be the proverbial "machine for living in" so we are also interested in "ergonomic" electrical switches, methods to track energy use etc.

We are not going "off-the grid" as the project is in the city proper, and we would like to integrate as much as possible with existing sub-contractor workflows.

Cost is a factor so we would like to line up as much in advance of bid phase as possible.

Feel free to contact us off-list for any suggestions/cautions.

Most Sincerely,

Jonathan Chertok

Universal Joint Design Associates 

Jonathan Chertok. Principal
AIA Associate

Austin, Texas  1 512 407 9628
http://www.universaljointdesign.com

Development + Design + Construction

Re: Residential Specifications_Austin, Texas

Posted by James Bell at August 06. 2007
Have you checked out the PATH website? http://www.pathnet.org

Re: Residential Specifications_Austin, Texas

Posted by Aaron Berlin at September 20. 2007

I hope to break ground on my home in the next two months.

I am excited about using a minisplit HVAC system from Daikin.  They are much more efficient than a standard ducted system and have been used for 35 years in the rest of the world where energy is much more expensive.  They are exceptionally quiet, last 20-25 years and should use 30% less electricity.  They run continuously at variable speeds so the temperature is much more constant.  I am currently in the process of getting a bid, so I do not know any info on pricing yet.

I plan to use Rinnai tankless gas water heaters.  I have a friend in the plumbing supply business and he attests that they are the best.

I am currently very much in the hunt researching every detail of my new home.  I would welcome any other suggestions.