Personal tools

a modern 'barn style' home?

by LiveModern Webmaster last modified Oct 03, 2011 10:21 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

a modern 'barn style' home?

Posted by canyc at November 06. 2005

i recently bought some property in a very rural area and i'm thinkning about building a modern barn style home. on the exterior it would be about 95% rustic (with weathered antique barn siding and standing seam roof) and 5% modern with curtain walls in a breezeway. The interior would be 95% modern, (with an open floor plan, metal railings, sunken main living area and rectilinear theme throughout) and 5% rustic with old timbers strategically placed throughout the home.

i know this isn't considered modern in the traditional sense, so i wanted to solicit some feedback before i charged ahead with the idea.

any thoughts?

Re: a modern 'barn style' home?

Posted by nextmodernfacilities at November 07. 2005

I think that you will have a great project with the direction you're heading. I've been discussing just such a project with a client for a little while now and am glad to hear someone else thinking about it. One of my favorite aspects of this type of building is the foundation walls, I keep meaning to snap photos of some of the exising ones as I see them. My two cents, great thought and move ahead without hesitation, enjoy yourself!

Posted by jimsonburg at October 25. 2010

Home remodeling can focus on multiple areas for both indoor and outdoor renovations that benefit the home. Making them   more up-to-date and energy efficient, expanding the square footage and remodeling those areas, which need repair and   replacement can increase the home's value.

Jimson Burg,

Home improvement Contractor

Posted by bryanwhitley at November 09. 2010

If you're looking for woodwork projects to help you build that barn style home. Take a look at

Posted by Emerald Taylor at October 03. 2011

I think it's a great idea, and wanted to build one myself, but the missus wasn't crazy about it. Here's a great site for barn house plans, and I bought a set of their plans to build an actual barn. It's a big site with lots of pictures and ideas. I'm not affiliated with them in any way; I just like their plans!

Properties In India