Personal tools

Modern furniture stores?

by Austin Colcord last modified Mar 30, 2012 08:09 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern furniture stores?

Posted by Austin Colcord at June 10. 2005

I'm curious if anyone out there has found a store which specializes in modern furniture. We recently had a store open here in Winston-Salem specializing in mid-century modern and other collectibles. They are called Objective and they are on the corner of 6th and Trade. Speak to Karen, she is extremely knowledgeble. I should have bought the Laverne chairs she had before they went to auction in NYC!
Anyone have a favorite place to find MCM or other modern furniture?

Re: Modern furniture stores?

Posted by Joel Klopp at June 29. 2005

There are two modern furniture stores here in Asheville. Mobilia and Italia Design. There is also a modern store in Hickory at the furniture mart called Reflections.

Posted by David Iversen at June 30. 2005

In Raleigh try Cherry for the extreme high-end and Ecko for middle/low end.

Posted by Steve Rankin at July 05. 2005

There used to be a vintage/antiques store in downtown Raleigh called Father and Sons (or something similar) that had an amazing selection of modernist furniture in their basement. I'm not sure if they're still in business, though.

Other than there, the only place that I can recall in my area is Furniture Follies just west of Carrboro on HWY 54; sometimes they have some great modernist furniture.

Some of the college surplus stores (i.e. Duke Surplus, State Surplus in Raleigh, etc.) have Eames chairs and stylish mid-20th century desks and etc. for sale at times. They are mostly VERY expensive, but once they figure out that they're asking too much, and nobody buys them for a long time, they mark them down to almost nothing.

Posted by David Iversen at July 07. 2005

Yes, Father Son Antiques is still there. 107 W. Hargett St in downtown Raleigh. Great mid-century stuff.

Posted by Austin Colcord at October 07. 2005

Well folks, unfortunately Karen at Objective in Winston-Salem has closed up shop. Sounds like they weren't pulling much business...I guess people prefer to shop at Rooms to Go (and take advantage of delayed-payment offers).

Posted by Jacqueline Tat at March 30. 2012

Those of  you in the San Jose, San Francisco bay should definitely check out All World Furniture.  They offer the finest modern furniture with very competitive pricing.  Best discount modern furniture store there is.