Personal tools
Sections

pivot doors

by Archie Ferguson last modified Aug 04, 2013 07:04 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 56 votes)

pivot doors

Posted by Archie Ferguson at October 26. 2005

I'm interested in having a wooden pivot enty door on a new house I'm building in north western New Jersey. Does anyone have any information or knowledge about their weather resistance etc? The only place I've ever seen them in a residential enviroment is on the silver screen on some fabulous California house and in magazines, and the only place I've them in the flesh is in a comercial environment. What kind, or how do they seal given the nature of their functioning? They don't really seem to have much of a weather proof seal when I've seen them. I've found a place on line (thanks to MM+M) where one can get the hardware to make your own, but does anyone know of a supplier of ready made wooden ones?

Re: pivot doors

Posted by Tim Troxler at October 27. 2005

Have you tried Mega Wood? They're right in Union, and they make this type of door along with beautiful, albeit expensive, wondows. I get the sense that cost isn't a major factor for you.

Posted by Jeff Kalm at October 27. 2005

archie,
what is the location you have to get the hardware to make your own? i have been kind of looking around for this stuff for my remodel of my basement. any informations any one has would be great.

thanks,
Jeff

Posted by Karen Pittman at October 27. 2005

Dorma makes a range of pivot hinges:

http://www.dorma-usa.com/usa/front_content.php?idcat=59lang=28client=1

then click on 9. Pivots.

Rixson also makes them. You might need to contact a local supplier of commercial doors and hardware to get the right parts, as some of these companies don't have much of a web presence.

If, by pivot door, you are thinking of a door that rotates along its center vertical axis, to open up on both left and right, then you want a center hung pivot hinge like Dorma's model 8062 (top portion) and 7421 7471 (bottom arm and floor bearing). Some pivot hinges are offset.

-KP

Posted by Archie Ferguson at November 01. 2005

jeff,
as is mentioned in a later reply, www.dorma.com, and rixsom.com.

Posted by JB at November 02. 2005

Posted by Brandon J. Gore at November 02. 2005

I had one custom welded for my studio. We used poly carbonate as the primary door skin, but one could easily spec wood. I hired a very talented welder who fabricated the door in such a way that when it closed it is fairly well sealed. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will give you his number.

Posted by David Fuentes at September 11. 2009

If you need any extra info log onto www.dieffe.us

Attachments

Posted by David Fuentes at September 11. 2009

another pic  www.dieffe.us

Attachments

Posted by Archibald john at May 09. 2012

It looks very nice..

I like this design and interior very much...