Personal tools
Sections

Stair Railings

by Craig Saur last modified Jan 12, 2013 03:49 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 27 votes)

Stair Railings

Posted by Craig Saur at July 22. 2006

I am currently building my own home in St. Louis and am acting as my own GC. I guided my architect on what I wanted and have come up with a design that I am pretty happy with. My architect works for a firm which traditionally does multifamily/commercial/institutional projects and doesn not always have the best information when it comes to the requirements of a single family home.

In my design, my stairs are enclosed with drywall on both sides. I had two questions - 1) what are the handrail requirements for this type of stairwell? I assume that I need one continuous handrail for each run of the staircase (I do not think that I need a handrail on both sides.) My stairwell switches back, do I need to continue the handrail through the landing area or can I return it to the wall at the top and bottom of the stairs and start a new section after the landing. Any help on this would be helpful. 2) My main question is if anyone has a good source or good ideas for a modern handrail. I would like a stainless steel or anodized aluminum handrail. Does anyone know of an online resource where I can buy the modular pieces and put this system together? Or do I have to find someone local and have the whole thing fabricated. I am open to other railing ideas of anyone has them.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Craig

Re: Stair Railings

Posted by Adam Curtis at July 25. 2006

The best bet is to check with your local residential inspections department, but generally most jurisdictions have adopted the IRC 2000 or 2003 code. They pretty much all require you to have a handrail on at least one side of the stair that extends to a point 34-38 inches directly over your first and last risers.
There is not much you can buy as components that are modern looking and will comply with the other requirement of returning to the wall at the ends. Also you must maintain a min. of 1-1/2 from the wall to the inside edge of the handrail.
I have recommended some of the aluminum profiles available from Julius Blum to people looking for a modern handrail, stainless gets very expensive. JB has some nice extruded brackets to fit their rails.
Unless you want to modify some connectorail componants I would suggest you contact a local NOMMA shop to give you an estimate for the rails. 1-1/2 dia. aluminum tube looks nice. To save money you could powder coat steel rails silver.

Posted by Jen Roberts at May 17. 2007

Previously Adam Curtis wrote:

There is not much you can buy as components that are modern looking and will comply with the other requirement of returning to the wall at the ends. Also you must maintain a min. of 1-1/2 from the wall to the inside edge of the handrail.

Has anyone used ADA grab bars? Wide, yes. Stocky, yes. Industrial, yes. But they're premade to return to the wall at the ends, they're aluminum, and you can get them cheaply in custom sizes.

Posted by Chuck Bail at May 23. 2007

If I remember correctly, it's hard to find on their site, but www.outwater.com has modular stainless steel handrail and the like.  Your local building inspectors will let you know what you need.

Posted by Debra Booth at June 06. 2007
I am looking for much the same thing--though for my outside stoop--. I did find the following stainless steel components: http://www.crlaurence.com/productpages/showline.asp?groupid=17368 http://www.agsstainless.com/ http://www.vivahardware.com/http://www.tacometals.com/prod-level4.asp?Action=SubCat&StartPage;=Home&c;=1&sID;=24 I am still looking--most of these are ss cable systems--Viva Hardware had some very interesting posts. All are component I believe. Deb

Posted by Jen Roberts at June 06. 2007

Thanks for the tip about outwater.com. I found exactly what I was looking for, and the stainless steel wasn't too expensive. I'm thrilled, and my builder was thrilled to find that website.

Posted by componance design at February 28. 2009

modern handrail brackets: www.componance.com 

Attachments

Posted by componance design at January 02. 2011

modern and contemporary handrail brackets and guardrail systems.  componance has a few new lines of architectural hardware that cater to those looking for a clean, modern aesthetic when designing and building stairs and guardrails.  these brackets are versatile in nature and are ideal for both interior and exterior commercial and residential applications. 

www.componance.com

Attachments

Posted by jrwood at January 06. 2011

Previously Craig Saur wrote:

I am currently building my own home in St. Louis and am acting as my own GC. I guided my architect on what I wanted and have come up with a design that I am pretty happy with. My architect works for a firm which traditionally does multifamily/commercial/institutional projects and doesn not always have the best information when it comes to the requirements of a single family home.

In my design, my stairs are enclosed with drywall on both sides. I had two questions - 1) what are the handrail requirements for this type of stairwell? I assume that I need one continuous handrail for each run of the staircase (I do not think that I need a handrail on both sides.) My stairwell switches back, do I need to continue the handrail through the landing area or can I return it to the wall at the top and bottom of the stairs and start a new section after the landing. Any help on this would be helpful. 2) My main question is if anyone has a good source or good ideas for a modern handrail. I would like a stainless steel or anodized aluminum handrail. Does anyone know of an online resource where I can buy the modular pieces and put this system together? Or do I have to find someone local and have the whole thing fabricated. I am open to other railing ideas of anyone has them.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Craig

Wahat kind of deck you buying if you need IPE decks i am exporter and supplier from South America call me or email me 0011592-667-2048 email:jrwoodproducts@gmail.com

Posted by jrwood at January 06. 2011

Previously componance design wrote:

modern and contemporary handrail brackets and guardrail systems.  componance has a few new lines of architectural hardware that cater to those looking for a clean, modern aesthetic when designing and building stairs and guardrails.  these brackets are versatile in nature and are ideal for both interior and exterior commercial and residential applications.

www.componance.com

Do you buy IPE to make those or any other products well i am supplier and Exporter from South America call me or email me 0011592-677-2048 email:jrwoodproducts@gmail.com