Personal tools
Sections

Dryvit

by Mark C last modified Apr 15, 2006 07:47 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Dryvit

Posted by Mark C at April 09. 2006

I am working with an architect to build my home in atl... We were planning on using a combination of stucco and insulated metal panels for the exterior but, we just got our pre-pricing back and we are a little over budget (surprise surprise)... I started to look for different, cheaper, materials when I came across Dryvit, a synthetic stucco. They can do some really interesting designs and looks. Does anyone have any experience/advice with this product? I read that there was a class action against the company a few years ago but there are still in business so I guess they fixed the issue they were having..

Any info, experience or advise about dryvit?

thanks Mark

Re: Dryvit

Posted by Mark C at April 09. 2006

sorry for the duplicate posts... My bad... could a mod delete the duplicate?

thanks and sorry

Posted by Kevin Dickson at April 12. 2006

Apparently if it is installed just right you'll be OK. The reputation of rot underneath is widely known by house hunters, so it could hurt resale value.

Posted by Justin Haley at April 12. 2006

as an architect that works in residential primarily i would have to advise against EIFS i.e. Dryvit or other manufacturers. True, if the product is installed correctly you are unlikely to get moisture trapped in the wall but you really have no garauntee that will occur. It is also very easy to damage...as in you could kick the wall and put a big dent in it. Talk to your architect about rainscreen options or perhaps you could continue with the paneled theme and look at hardipanel as an option. just my 2cents

Posted by Craig Saur at April 12. 2006

As jhaley alluded to, if EIFS is installed correctly, it can be an effective product. Be warned, to install it properly on a single family home, it will not be cheap. It becomes much more cost effective when it is used on larger projects.

One thing that I would be weary of with EIFS is ability to resell. I know that in the St. Louis market, relocation companies will not guarantee the sale of the house to anyone who has EIFS on their house because of its reputation and association with mold. Not sure that this is the same in all markets.

Bottom line is that if you install it right and plan on living in this house for a long time, then it should not be an issue.

Posted by Bob at April 14. 2006

Aside from the aesthetic issues one might have with EIFS, I'll throw out what i know about the product/system.

EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finish System) is used universally to refer any product with Dryvit-like finish (sand, stucco look), but unlike the 80s versions there are different versions of EIFS installations that promote much better drainage, ventillation and evacuation of moisture from the system. The problem with the EIFS that was the source of the lawuits was that the moisture would get trapped in the system. That obviously leads to problems. Obviously these new systems come with some cost. I'd imagine there are good descriptions of the various systems on the Dryvit site. This might be a good place to start.

http://www.dryvithomes.com/

As for mold, Densglass Gold Sheathing is an acceptable substrate for EIFS and will not support the growth of mold. I don't see how mold would ever get into your house through the EIFS system installed over this sheathing. I believe the same is for Densglass Silver Wall Sheathing which has some structural properties as well.

In response to one of the posts saying you can easily kick it in, there are ways of adding a higher grade reinforcing mesh that makes the EIFS quite durable. If this is a serious concern one might suggest the reinforcing mesh be installed at the bottom 42 of the EIFS.

Another thing EIFS does is increase the R value of your wall which is always good. In many areas (i.e. here in PA) the new Energy Conservation Code requires an R value of R16. 3.5 batt insulation gives you a max R15 = conventional means fall short. One way to comply with the codes is to go with a 6 wall (more $), use a product like Owens Corning FanFold Residing Board on the exterior of the wall sheathing under siding or go with EIFS.

Posted by Mark C at April 15. 2006

After talking with my architect and reading the replies (thanks for that) it sounds like EFIS has some benefits but there are too many potential downsides... I think I will now look into Hardiplank instead.

thanks