Personal tools
Sections

plywood floors?

by Rob Batey last modified Feb 29, 2012 01:17 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
Click to change your rating: (not rated)
  worthless bad average good great

Re: plywood floors?

Posted by Lorina McCabe at March 10. 2006

Richierod, if I could find a tG plywood with a hardwood veneer, I would be set, eh? I'm desperate to find things to save money on in this project that has the ever-risin price tag!
Thanks for the reality check,
Lorina

Posted by Ryen Motzek at March 13. 2006

All right, I am ready to do this... Is there anyway that someone could do a full DIY explanation from the very first step to the very last. I am very down to put these floors in my place and think it could look very awesome. But, I need that thorough explanation.

Thanks,
Ryen

Posted by lawrence perera at March 15. 2006

><br>

so i finally put 1/2 birch plywood in my bedroom over the past 3 days. im happy with the outcome, i selected a plywood that had the biggest top layer (veneer) that i could find. there are a few things i would have done differently. first i wish i had spent some more money nicer screws (stainless?)...so the countersunk screws that i left exposed would have been a little nicer to look at. you cant really tell but i left the hardware on the edges of the sheets exposed cause i liked the way it looked before i began filling the holes. lastly, i know everybody says not to butt the sheets up next to each other (no gap) but it might have looked a bit cleaner....all in all im happy with my first shot at it.

><br>

Posted by Ryen Motzek at March 16. 2006

What sheen of varnish did you use? It looks great but also very glossy, I may want smething a little less glossy.

Thanks.

Posted by lawrence perera at March 16. 2006

i used a fast drying clear gloss made by minwax. it is indeed glossy, but personally i like it. good luck.

Posted by Ryen Motzek at March 19. 2006

Thanks LL, looks good!

Posted by Ryen Motzek at March 27. 2006

[quote:motzekryen format=text/plain]All right, I am ready to do this... Is there anyway that someone could do a full DIY explanation from the very first step to the very last. I am very down to put these floors in my place and think it could look very awesome. But, I need that thorough explanation.

Thanks,
Ryen
[/quote]

Anybody? This would greatly help.

Plywood floors over concrete?

Posted by Krista Atkins Nutter at March 28. 2006

I hope I can hop on this thread really quickly while it's still hot. Our home will have concrete floors throughout the first floor, but I'm really liking the idea of the plywood floors to change up the 1st floor master. I'm guessing that the floating installation with biscuit joints would be the way to go. Just wondered if anyone else had any other thoughts? All info much appreciated!

Posted by Ryen Motzek at March 29. 2006

[quote:motzekryen format=text/plain]All right, I am ready to do this... Is there anyway that someone could do a full DIY explanation from the very first step to the very last. I am very down to put these floors in my place and think it could look very awesome. But, I need that thorough explanation.

Thanks,
Ryen
[/quote]

Is there anybody out there that could answer this question?

Posted by Nicole Francus at April 04. 2006

ryen,
I also first saw the process on this site, and after reading all of the threads just went for it. My floors look much like the pics just above your last post, but I used 3/4.
I don't know if a summary is what you're looking for, but you can always email me for more detail. I arrived at the same specifications you did (no glue, don't mind the screws). I was torn over leaving the sheets 4x8 or halving them to 4x4. I chose 4x8 and I'm happy with it, since some areas required some odd pieces anyhow. Your space looks like great dimensions for full sheets or a nice design - maybe a design in the center of your apt?

You'll know more when you get your carpet out. We invested in underlayment. It's the plastic stuff rolled out underneath laminate floors to prevent moisture from creeping up into the wood floor and prevent squeaking (avail. @home despot). It's a good thing we did, because the old center of our house didn't have subflooring under the carpet and pad -- the wood slats had small spaces between them and below was the crawl space. You won't have to worry about that, but if I were you I'd pull up the carpet in a few different places to see what you're dealing with.

You will definitely want a nail claw bar thing (technical name) to remove the carpet strips. I was saved by that tool. I also needed a chisel for something I think, and a hammer to make it all work. Utility knife gloves.
Putting in the sheets just takes a drill, screws, a hand sander, sandpaper, poly and a brush.

Here is what I did:
~ripped out carpet padding; scraped glue
~rolled out underlayment, overlapping where instructed, staple-gunned it down (ply sheets blow it everywhere)
~brought in ply sheets that I had pre-selected to go together (birch I got had light and dark variances, and I made some decisions about where to put the light and dark)
~the first room I did, I left a small space between the sheets (just wiggling them with a pencil) and filled the space with elmer's wood filler to match. It got kinda messy and a couple of the sheets just aren't the same height so it's cracking. I also had time to sand between coats of poly, which makes a big difference.
~the second room I did is the largest in the house (6 ply sheets!) and I didn't have much time. I put the sheets right next to each other, which I think I like better, and left the screws exposed (no putty). There's still only one coat of poly on it and it looks dull -- still unfinished!
~there are 2 other rooms, one done, one not.
~I used high gloss poly. I put marine varnish on one sheet in the kitchen, but it was nasty and the resulting wood color is too dark for my taste. I decided not to continue doing that in the kitchen -- the poly does fine with spills, etc.

Problems for me (unexperienced!):
~gaps against walls that are too big for reasonable moulding to cover...our walls are not very straight it turns out!
~gaps under doors still not done, and thresholds where floors end and meet other floors are not done.

I sympathize for your desire for a step-by-step, and I've only read what's on this site and tried it myself...email me if you want. firebloom@mac.com

Good luck!
nicole

Posted by lawrence perera at April 04. 2006

ryen,

i would also consider what type of fasteners you are going to use. you might need to predrill pilot holes if the screws are not super small....i got away by using these tiny little square drive 6x1-5/8 trim head screws depending on how low the drywall is hung you might be able to cheat the sheets under a bit so you dont have to but in quarter-round (shoe moulding) in adition to plain 1x trim.....if you have door casing to deal with you might need to trim it down. also i would measure the room to see how out of square it is....i had thought about using a finish nailer and just nailing the piss out of the plywood....but i think screws are the way to go....
lp

Posted by djsunyc at July 31. 2006

this is such a great idea.

now here's a question. i currently have hardwood floors that i'm not fond of. can i just put down some underlayment and then the plywood on top of that? and then just screw the plywood through the underlayment into the hardwood floors?

thanks.

Posted by Mary Symmes at August 01. 2006

Hi - I'm a new user with yet another question about plywood floors. Did anyone see the reDesign show on HGTV on which Kenneth Brown used 2X2' plywood squares for a kitchen floor? It is really cool, but I have not been able to get info on exactly how he did it, what kind of plywood to get, etc. Does anyone know about this or have any suggestions?

Mary

Posted by jerome Engelking at August 07. 2006

[quote:richierod format=text/plain]My view is that plywood will not be durable enough, though the opinions on this thread certainly seem to put me in the minority.[/quote]

same here:

Can you use Oak plywood as a Hardwood flooring?
Don't even think about it. The veneer is only 1/48 max thick and can't tolerate abrasion unless given several coats of special floor finish. The main reason not to, however, is that the core veneer of the cabinet plywood are allowed voids, which could cause a furniture leg or a shoe heel to pop through, ruining the floor and perhaps cause an injury. Use products that are intended for flooring.

http://www.windsorplywood.com/did_you_know_q.html

Posted by Ryen Motzek at September 03. 2006

firebloom and larrylawrence I have been going back and forth with the idea of plywood as flooring for a while now (obviously) and have cam to the conclusion that I am going to do painted cement floors instead. Not because I don't dig thwe look of PW floors, it's just that it will be kind of risky in my rental. I have recently had a flood in my place do to a faulty water heater and I was forced to rip up the carpet. After the carpet being gone I realized that cement flooring will be the easiest and cleanest fix to my hat for carpet.

However I do plan on doing something with PW floors, pewrhaps in a future home.

Thanks for the advice and help though!

Posted by Ryen Motzek at September 03. 2006

firebloom and larrylawrence I have been going back and forth with the idea of plywood as flooring for a while now (obviously) and have cam to the conclusion that I am going to do painted cement floors instead. Not because I don't dig thwe look of PW floors, it's just that it will be kind of risky in my rental. I have recently had a flood in my place do to a faulty water heater and I was forced to rip up the carpet. After the carpet being gone I realized that cement flooring will be the easiest and cleanest fix to my hat for carpet.

However I do plan on doing something with PW floors, perhaps in a future home.

Thanks for the advice and help though!

Posted by jeni twenty at January 06. 2011

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Amazed also at the beauty of the photos so many have posted. Well done everyone. Looking forward to my project!

Reminder:  Let your wood to acclimate to the temperature of the room before you install the plywood.

"The first thing you need to do before you start the job is get the hardwood flooring into your home and let it acclimate to the indoor humidity and temperature. Although this acclimation period can be achieved in three or four days, I recommend you bring the hardwood flooring into your home for a minimum of two weeks for the best results. Put the wood into the actual room where it will be installed if at all possible. Be sure that room is at the temperature it will be at once the room is finished. The longer you let the wood acclimate, the tighter the joints will be as it is installed, and, more importantly, after the hardwood is finished. Hardwood flooring is a hygroscopic material, and it can change shape and size with changes in temperature and humidity."

http://www.askthebuilder.com/655_Hardwood_Floor_Installation.shtml

jenitwenty

Posted by Daniel Homes at March 23. 2011
Plywood flooring is a great option for home owners who are looking for something to use as a base for almost any type of flooring treatment. The plywood base makes it a lot easier to change your flooring treatment over time. For example, if you decide to put in Pergo flooring in your kitchen when you first buy your home, but you know that eventually you will want to replace that flooring with hardwood, plywood flooring ideas as a base will make that change to hardwood go a lot smoother. _________________________________________________________ Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

Posted by Walter Verde at March 27. 2011

I am in the process of tiling my bathroom floor but need to relay the floor first.

Most of the boards are in very poor condition so I am going to remove them and replace them with Plywood.

I am also installing a wetroom and have a tray former that is 22mm deep.

I have seen18mm in most DIY shops - I wonder if this Is enough depth, and is exterior plywood adequate?

Boys Designer Sweaters

Recruitment London

Posted by Anja Boedecker at October 23. 2011

I know this thread is a few years old, I hope somebody reads this and I get an answer. How would I secure a plywood floor to a concrete floor?

Posted by Dave King at February 29. 2012
Previously Michael O'Neal wrote:

Hi Everyone. This is my first posting here.

I have just gone under contract on my first house...an 1800 sq. foot townhome in Boulder, CO. I have been looking at flooring options, and this birch plywood flooring looks perfect for me. Any other pics of installs would be great. I emailed jennifer to see some close ups from the joints of the flooring of Luminhaus, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

At any rate, I'm excited to join the community and reap some of the vast knowledge you all have!

Thanks!

Michael O'Neal

Hello Michael,

This is my first posting on this site, I'm hoping you can help.  I know it's a while ago now, but can you please let me know if you still ahve the photos requested from Jennifer showijng the close up joints of the Luminhaus flooring?

I'm looking to acheive the same finish for a plywood floor I plan to insatll in my flat in London (UK)

Can you please let me know?

Thanks,

Dave