Personal tools
Sections

Best bright white paint?

by lara perry last modified May 21, 2007 05:42 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Best bright white paint?

Posted by lara perry at June 02. 2006

I'm a big fan of color and have experimented with lots of shades. I think I repainted each room in our last house at least 3 times in 4 years (it was a small house). Over the last 2 years we've transitioned to a more contemporary decor and now I'm wanting to try white. I recently went through choosing the perfect shade of beige - 5 quarts of different brands and slightly different shades before I found the right one. I'm trying to avoid a repeat, so I'm asking if any of you have found the most beautiful *bright* white as a backdrop to your contemporary homes? I'll be using an eggshell finish...

Any input at all is appreciated....

Re: Best bright white paint?

Posted by Jennifer Tipton at June 03. 2006

><br>

Hey Xippy,

Sherwin Williams has a helpful color chart called 'Interior Whites Lights' that has 25 whites, and we chose their 'Extra White' cause it will go well with the 'Glacier White' Corian counters in our kitchen and bathrooms.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/

Jen

><br>

Posted by JB at June 03. 2006

The default white for a whole lot of designers- Benjamin Moore's decorator white is the only way to go.
I'm also partial to Duron and their solo white. especially for north facing rooms.

Posted by luca uggeri at June 04. 2006

Glier,
I cannot find either color at the manufacturers site. Can you be more specific with the names?Perhaps a link to the specific color?
I would love to find out if the whites generally employed in modern interiors tend towards a specific color. If so, do you strive to complement the wood/concrete/anodized aluminum palette, or the color of the furniture in particular. Also, different whites for each room or pick a white and stick to it throughout the house?

Posted by Jennifer Tipton at June 05. 2006

Luca,

Our whites were chosen based on 'a look' that we had seen in several magazines where dark brown cabinets and vanities were paired with bright white counters. In our last house, we had different colored walls in each room, and we stored waayyyy too many paint cans for touch-ups. This time we wanted to make choices that were low maintenance, so we went with one white throughout the house. Our floors are concrete (which all the contractors have done their darndest to destroy - even with boards covering them), and I think any color of furniture goes well with the above mentioned combination.

J.

Posted by Margaret McLean at June 26. 2006

Behr Ultra Pure White

Posted by richierod at May 14. 2007
I can say that after exhaustive research - well, I tried the above-mentioned Benjamin Moore "Decorator White" (#04), their "Super White" (#02), Sherwin Williams "Extra White" (via their "Whites and Lights" color chart) and the above-mentioned Behr "Ultra Pure White" - that the brightest and whitest white is............ Behr "Ultra Pure White"! I was surprised that Home Depot paint would be the best, but not only was it the brightest, but it covered better and lay the flattest on the walls (sans "nap"). BTW, this was based on swatches of color about 3'W x 12'H, on the same wall, using a foam roller over level 5 prepped drywall, no primer. -R.

Posted by johnnyslimane at May 16. 2007

No one else has mentioned this yet, but you might also want to consider Porter Paint's "cloud white."   

Posted by jennifer jenkins at May 21. 2007

I have to second the vote for Behr Ultra Pure White.  I have a few gallons in my garage as I type.  I have used this color for the trim and doors on my current house and it looks very bright white - exactly what I was looking for. 

The only place that has something else are the spindles and bottom of the stair railings.  I had the painter match the color of the Behr, but he used an oil based paint from Dunn Edwards.  I am not sure if it is the brand, the fact it is oil or what, but the Dunn Edwards areas have yellowed a bit while the Behr still looks bright white even after 5 years in a house that can get very hot at times (I travel and leave the A/C set for 87 or so).

One other thing I love about Behr is how easy it is to find.  Just walk in, pick it up off the shelf and you are done, no waiting for it to be mixed. 

I am in the process of building a new house and it looks like I will be having 3" plain moulding and I am planning to use the same white for it. 

Jennifer