Personal tools
Sections

Interior and Exterior Railing Ideas

by Craig Saur last modified May 23, 2014 03:13 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 2 votes)

Interior and Exterior Railing Ideas

Posted by Craig Saur at January 15. 2006

I am in the process of designing my new modern home and am looking for some great ideas on railing details, both interior and exterior. I originally wanted to use the cable rail, but my wife and I are expecting our first child and think that another solution would be best for obvious safety reasons. There were some ideas on a stair post about using polygal and some other materials. Any additional ideas would be great.

Also, the one thing that I did really like about the cable rail system is that it was modular and pretty easy to order without having to have someone fabricate it for me. Anny other systems like this would be great, although not required. Thanks in advance for you great ideas.

Re: Interior and Exterior Railing Ideas

Posted by Nicole Herold at January 20. 2006

The recent HGTV Dream Home built by a young architect and his wife made a nice, inexpensive railing out of hog wire (?). It's basically squares, rather than just cabling. They have a very young daughter (less than a year when the house was being built) so I'm sure safety was a concern to them, too.

You can see a picture of it in the 5th slide of the Week 9 slide show on the Rocky Mountain News [url href=http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/dreamhouse/]website[/url].

Posted by Jason V at February 10. 2006

Hi,

It is my understanding that cable railing is expensive to install. I am looking for the same thing. See this image. I like this, but am not sure how long it would stand up to the elements here in Seattle

Attachments

Posted by Kirk Washburn at February 10. 2006

Wow, I really like the hog wire railing. I'm currently in the middle of building the polygal railing. The cool thing about that railing, is you can build the whole thing yourself with no welding required. One other variation on the polygal railing that my wife and I considered was this: same basic construction as the polygal railing, except attach 10 or so horizontal strips of 1 x 1/2 x 10' pieces of wood to the steel uprights, with maybe 1 between each strip of wood, instead of the polygal. This might look a little less industrial. Actually what made me think of doing this was a rendering of the CourtHouse over on fabprefab. Here's a link to the [url href=http://www.fabprefab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=227postdays=0postorder=ascstart=105]thread[/url] where you can see that rendering.

_kirk

Posted by ThreeDogKnight at February 10. 2006

This site has a lot of industrial materials (grate, perforated metals, etc.) that could be used for railings:

http://www.mcnichols.com