Personal tools
Sections

Architectural Screw Covers

by James Wagner last modified Nov 09, 2006 12:17 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Architectural Screw Covers

Posted by James Wagner at October 31. 2006

I want to mount some maple panels to the front of a breakfast bar.

I would like to have large ( ~1" ) aluminum, or stainless covers for mounting screws.

Searches of the web have come up with nothing, but cheap chrome buttons that pop on to plastic things under the screws.

Ideally I would like something that has a flat face and a square shoulder.

I probably don't have the correct terminology. Any leads?

Re: Architectural Screw Covers

Posted by darrel at October 31. 2006

NOt necessarily an answer to your specific question, but have you considered just using exposed screws? I find stainless square-drive and/or star-drive screws to not be that bad when left exposed.

Posted by James Wagner at November 03. 2006

Thanks for the comment.

I hadn't thought of using exposed screws. Not sure if they would fly with my wife.

Although the interior is a bit industrial, I have it in my head to have large, flat disks covering the fasteners.

I wish I could remember where I saw them, and what they may be called.

jw

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at November 03. 2006

><br>

I would use a tamper-proof fastener. Some have heads that make a very nice appearance, and because they are usually an unfamiliar configuration they don't come across as looking like a screw. I'm thinking a a two prong pan head would look nice.

http://www.tamperproof.com/

><br>

Posted by James Wagner at November 05. 2006

Not bad.

I've found these that I may just silicone a single one over the screw holes to give me close to the look I'm looking for.

Posted by Lynetta Carnes at November 07. 2006

That's an interesting look - what is the product/manufacturer?

Posted by James Wagner at November 09. 2006

The hardware I listed above is actually for joining two glass panels for displays, but I'll use them just for aesthetics to cover the actual mounting screws.

The manufacurer is http://www.crlaurence.com/

I think the price is about $20 CDN for a set a shown - that's retail.

They've got a nice dry system for mounting glass panels for railings/screens that I'll probably use above a staircase.

jw