Personal tools
Sections

Tub/shower surround - wood?

by Gabriel Massey last modified Sep 08, 2013 09:40 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 17 votes)

Tub/shower surround - wood?

Posted by Gabriel Massey at September 16. 2005

OK. I'm pouring a concrete tub that will also serve as the shower basin, t/b located in the corner of our bathroom. Top of tub will be flush with the finished floor, which means I'm looking to clad the surround (2 exterior walls and 1 interior, with 1 side completely exposed) in some type of wood, floor to ceiling.

Questions:

1) Would some type of birch ply be feasible? Any sources for oversize (we're talking 9.5' x roughly 5') sheets? I would prefer no seams other than in the corners.
2) Waterproofing - I'm assuming some type of marine epoxy is appropriate. Anyone tried a similar application or have an alternate sealer? I thought about many coats of polyurethane...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Re: Tub/shower surround - wood?

Posted by Chris White at September 19. 2005

Personally I would steer clear of any wood in a shower surround. But if you want to do it I would use teak or another type of marine grade wood. These choices are going to be expensive though.

Posted by Matt Pierce at September 20. 2005

I agree with utarch00, but if you need wood, DEFINTELY DO NOT use any ply sheet. In ply, there is lots of air gaps within the ply and will suck up condensation - no matter how many coats of polyurethane you have on the outside. It will rot from the inside-out. The project does sound interesting though, I definitely want to see some completed pics!

Posted by Jeff Kalm at September 20. 2005

amoxill,
check out this site for parklex, it is an exterior grade plywood that was developed in Finland. we are currently using it for a projects exterior fasade here in northern Minnesota where the weather is probably much worse then in your shower.

http://www.parklex.com/ing/productos/parklex_1000.asp

Jeff

Posted by dgiulietti at January 20. 2012

We have used Parklex panels in Oregon on one of our projects. We have a lot of rain here as you know. All the panels have been experiencing discoloration along all the edges in less than a years exposure to the elements(1 rainy season). It is now into its second rainy season. The company has refused and delayed answering our letters and emails. We have finally received feeback from them letting us know that it is only a "aesthetic problem" and I quote their letter below.

"In any case we confirm hereby that this phenomenon is purely aesthetic, but has absolutely no

consequences on the technical performance of the panel’s impermeability and is

not considered by Composites Gurea S.A., to be a defect"

I would definitely not recomend the Parklex panels for a wet application such as a shower. Read their warranty. They will not cover disoloration due to moisture as we are finding out now.

Regards

Dave Giulietti

amoxill,
check out this site for parklex, it is an exterior grade plywood that was developed in Finland. we are currently using it for a projects exterior fasade here in northern Minnesota where the weather is probably much worse then in your shower.

http://www.parklex.com/ing/productos/parklex_1000.asp

Jeff