Sections

steel buildings

by STEVE CULP last modified Dec 17, 2005 06:28 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

steel buildings

Posted by STEVE CULP at December 04. 2005

Hi.Great site.My wife and I are starting a new steel building company
01-01-06.We are in the process of choosing a manufacturer.I am a union carpenter w/ 23 years metal framing exp.My wife has 20 years
exp.as a construction office manager.We are starting a new company
partly due to my having shoulder reconstruction surgury.I have a strong belief in recycling steel.My goal is to supply and erect
steel buildings,which are more pest and fireproof resistant than
wood etc.(kind of important in Cali).Besides building commercial and industrial buildings,I would like to offer affordably DIY friendly
steel homes.Any advice,help,pros,cons etc.Would really be appreciated
Steve Culp
Hangtown Ca.:zz:

Re: steel buildings

Posted by Walter Crigler at December 08. 2005

If you are considering providing them for residential use, you will need to provide something more inspirational than a barn or a mini storage unit. NSteel and lavardera have come up with a great plan although I am still looking for something smaller and not so pricey. (Especially since they have free shipping with plant locations nationwide) Perka.com has some interesting frame options like the 8500 arched frame that when elevated to the front of the residence would look great! Also, you may want to have an insulation package ready to go. Perka has this P2000 stuff that (they sent me a sample) come in various thicknesses and has a radiant foil side. Some also suggest a sprayed foam inside. It depends on how your frames go together and how any interior framing attaches. Berridge is out of TX and they have some interesting designs (Primarily for roofs). I am located in the southeast and because of Termites and wood rot I have been looking into this as well. Please post a website as soon as you get up and running.

Posted by STEVE CULP at December 15. 2005

Walt
I will post a website ASAP
Steve

Posted by Chas. Schwartz at December 17. 2005

I am going to be building a small steel framed vacation house in Joshua Tree, CA sometime soon - the design work is now on the table but I haven't submitted it for permits yet. In this plan, the structural frame will be steel but the studs will be wood, similar to a Case Study house. Framer, let me know when you're in biz and where you'll be operating, maybe we can talk as I will be the owner-contractor (general) on this little 1200' house.