Personal tools
Sections

cedar siding finishes

by Lisa Brunn last modified Oct 06, 2013 10:17 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 16 votes)

cedar siding finishes

Posted by Lisa Brunn at April 11. 2005

I've just finished my dream, modern house but I need some help with the finish for my exterior siding. The siding is vertical cedar which looks beautiful but I know I have to put a finish on it. I'd like to keep the natural color of the cedar. Can anyone recommend a product that can protect the cedar so I don't have to paint? I don't think I could pick one more thing for this house, much less a color for the whole exterior. o But I also don't want to have to have to refinish every year. Thanks for any help you can give.

Re: cedar siding finishes

Posted by jbArch at April 11. 2005

We used a Cabot product on a coastal residence recently -- it was cedar shingles, not siding, but I think the effect would be similar.
IIRC the product was a bleaching oil like the one described [url href=http://www.cabotstain.com/shared_frames.cfm?area=towocacabot=1]here[/url], which actually gave it a weathered look almost immediately. This was in a high wind/water environment, and the cedar there tends to weather faster in high exposure parts of the house. This product seeemed to even it out quite a bit.
I would talk to your Cabot dealer and see what they recommend.

Cheers,
JB

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 11. 2005

Bleaching stain will accelerate the greying to a weathered finish. If you like that fresh new warm cedar color, well then you are in for a fight. Cedar naturally wants to go to the grey so if you want to keep the new appearance then you are going to have to go the way of a sealer or preservative. One trick I have seen is to stain the cedar its own color so as it weathers down the pigment is still there. But these are not maintenance free solutions. Go to your local paint store and tell the paint guy your story - I'm sure he will have heard it before.

Posted by Lisa Brunn at April 18. 2005

Thanks for your help; I'm off to the paint store!

Posted by uncleho at May 01. 2005

I want cedar siding also. But I'de like to stain it some hue of amber-like color.

Greg, You make it sound difficult. Does cedar not like coloring by stain?

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at May 01. 2005

No - I think its quiet simple to apply, Cabots and the like, more or less just like painting. You can also buy pre-stained siding panels. I just mean that it becomes an ongoing item of maintenance. The stain color will fade and need re-staining to keep the appearance up.

Posted by bizarchetype at April 01. 2012
Previously uncleho wrote:

I want cedar siding also. But I'de like to stain it some hue of amber-like color.

Greg, You make it sound difficult. Does cedar not like coloring by stain?

If you want that beautiful "amber" cedar look and your cedar is new, go with Cabot "Mahogany Flame" Australian Timber Oil.  It's $40/gal. off the shelf (no need to mix) at Lowe's.  Most lumberyards specializing in cedar have told me that Cabot is DEFINITELY the way to go.