Personal tools
Sections

Pebble Tec flooring

by David McIntyre last modified Jul 07, 2013 05:25 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 2 votes)

Pebble Tec flooring

Posted by David McIntyre at January 05. 2007

does anyone have any experience with using Pebble Tec in residential flooring?  Is a DIY equivalent possible?  I just saw pebble tec floors at Pinkberry in W Hollywood and some Design within Reach stores.  Their floors were made of tiny pebbles glued to the floor.  Acc to the salesguy at DWR (who told me it was pebble tec) it's made by mixing the pebbles (which are really tiny) in epoxy and troweling it on.  Acc to the PT website, it seems to be used mostly for swimming pools.  but the floors felt great to walk on (even barefoot) and looked really cool.  i'd love to do this for a bathroom or kitchen.  i think it costs @7/sf from a PT contractor, but i'd prefer to save $ by doing it myself.

Re: Pebble Tec flooring

Posted by Jason at March 02. 2007

Is this the same a pebble washed concrete ?? Do you have any photos?

Posted by Jon Udoff at March 16. 2007

Pebble Tec flooring is a system where small pebbles (<1/8") are mixed with an epoxy resin and troweled on top of a solid surface.

You can obtain the epoxy resin from John Greer in San Diego.  His website details how much resin you will need for your project. 

http://www.jgreer.com/Pebble%20paving%20page.htm

You should be able to obtain the pebble from a local rock dealer.

-Jon

Posted by william w at April 21. 2007

Saw great pebble floor at a sushi restaurant in St Helena in Napa called Blue - sounds like the same system.  I actually had kept the receipt to call about the floor . . . thanks for the info.

Posted by Tamie Dramer at April 21. 2007

Previously David McIntyre wrote:

does anyone have any experience with using Pebble Tec in residential flooring?  Is a DIY equivalent possible?  I just saw pebble tec floors at Pinkberry in W Hollywood and some Design within Reach stores.  Their floors were made of tiny pebbles glued to the floor.  Acc to the salesguy at DWR (who told me it was pebble tec) it's made by mixing the pebbles (which are really tiny) in epoxy and troweling it on.  Acc to the PT website, it seems to be used mostly for swimming pools.  but the floors felt great to walk on (even barefoot) and looked really cool.  i'd love to do this for a bathroom or kitchen.  i think it costs @7/sf from a PT contractor, but i'd prefer to save $ by doing it myself.

David, We used pebble tech in the remodel of our cabana club bathrooms...not a residential floor, and we also contracted it out, but we did watch the process. It took two days. The epoxy & pebbles were mixed in a concrete mixer. The epoxy, (colored,) & then the color and size of pebble we chose. It was spread on over a sealed concrete surface with a trowel. The mixture was just about the consistancy of peanut butter. It was left to dry over night and then sealed agin, but I'm not certain what with. We really love it and it's holding up to traffic well. The downside has been that although we have drains in the floor, and the epoxy/pebble coating was shaped to drain towards them, it still holds water and can be a little slippery if soap is left on it at all. We were told not to use bleach, only a product like simple green to clean it, but that's working out fine. We are working on better ventilation for the bathrooms to help with drying the floors after mopping and lots of wet feet and dripping swimmers. We thought about doing the floor in our split level at home, but I'm still skeptical because of the holding water thing. A decent shop vac would probably be the answer though for inside. I attached a picture.

Attachments

Posted by Tamie Dramer at April 21. 2007
Here's a better picture of the field of the floor.

Attachments

Posted by william w at April 21. 2007

Thanks for the picture.  It looks just likde the floor in the sushi restaurant in Napa I mentioned (C.C. Blue Sushi Bar).  Do you know who was the contractor? and how much they charged per sq ft?  Thanks

Previously Tamie Dramer wrote:

Posted by Michael Baker at May 18. 2007

Tamie,

Who did you have put this in place.  I would like to have a similar flooring done, but am having trouble finding someone that knows what they are doing.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mike

Posted by Millhouse at May 19. 2007

I used a product with the Brand name of Rock carpet.  I found them online and they connected me to a local installer.  I would say that the smaller the pebble, the cooler it looks. I used it in an entry way slash front hall closet and another entry off the garage and the closet and bath next to it. I tell you this only because it is tough to get a great idea( I'm lazy) of the exact sq. ft. price. I think it was in the 12-15 dollar range, not bad. It looks sick , nobody here has ever seen this stuff in a house and it is cool to stop people in thier tracks before they even get in the house. I am too gooney with the computer to add photos, but photos do not do this stuff justice.

Posted by Tamie Dramer at May 25. 2007
Sorry I haven't been here in a while. I'll dig up the contractor's name & get back.

Posted by Tamie Dramer at June 17. 2007
This is who we used for our Cabana Club floors- Valley Terrazzo Co.out of Fresno. It took two days to install so we had to put the crew (2) guys up in a motel overnight.

Posted by Kim Pham at November 01. 2007

David,

We used pebble tech in the remodel of our cabana club bathrooms...not a residential floor, and we also contracted it out, but we did watch the process. It took two days. The epoxy & pebbles were mixed in a concrete mixer. The epoxy, (colored,) & then the color and size of pebble we chose. It was spread on over a sealed concrete surface with a trowel. The mixture was just about the consistancy of peanut butter. It was left to dry over night and then sealed agin, but I'm not certain what with. We really love it and it's holding up to traffic well. The downside has been that although we have drains in the floor, and the epoxy/pebble coating was shaped to drain towards them, it still holds water and can be a little slippery if soap is left on it at all. We were told not to use bleach, only a product like simple green to clean it, but that's working out fine. We are working on better ventilation for the bathrooms to help with drying the floors after mopping and lots of wet feet and dripping swimmers. We thought about doing the floor in our split level at home, but I'm still skeptical because of the holding water thing. A decent shop vac would probably be the answer though for inside. I attached a picture.

Mr Cabanna Club,

I love your cabanna club bathrooms, can you send me the contractors names and numbers? id love to hire them for a project i have too! kp0420@gmail.com

Posted by jason evans at January 06. 2008

David,

Please let me clarify what Pebble Tec is. Pebble Tec is comprised of small pebbles, white portland cement, pozzolon additives, and cement pigments. It can only be used in pools and not on floors! The cement/pebble mixture is so rich- that any installation out of water would show minor shrinkage cracks. If the concrete has any cracks in it- then these cracks would some thru the Pebble Tec surface as well.

What you are asking about is Epoxy Chatahoochee. Pebbles mixed with epoxy. And it is a DIY surface.

Good luck!

Posted by Stefan at January 30. 2009

Here is a Company  in New York which I have worked with in europe, over there they do these kind of floors with crushed marble.

you can check out the website.   www.pianidesign.com

David,

Please let me clarify what Pebble Tec is. Pebble Tec is comprised of small pebbles, white portland cement, pozzolon additives, and cement pigments. It can only be used in pools and not on floors! The cement/pebble mixture is so rich- that any installation out of water would show minor shrinkage cracks. If the concrete has any cracks in it- then these cracks would some thru the Pebble Tec surface as well.

What you are asking about is Epoxy Chatahoochee. Pebbles mixed with epoxy. And it is a DIY surface.

Good luck!

Posted by pebblestoneflooring at November 09. 2010

Pebble Tec Flooring can be purchased as a Do-it-yourself project through PebbleStone Flooring. It comes with instruction, pebble color choice and clear 2 part epoxy. Installation is available in certain states. You can go to www.pebblestoneflooringsystems.com to see color options and contact information.

Previously Kim Pham wrote:

David,

We used pebble tech in the remodel of our cabana club bathrooms...not a residential floor, and we also contracted it out, but we did watch the process. It took two days. The epoxy & pebbles were mixed in a concrete mixer. The epoxy, (colored,) & then the color and size of pebble we chose. It was spread on over a sealed concrete surface with a trowel. The mixture was just about the consistancy of peanut butter. It was left to dry over night and then sealed agin, but I'm not certain what with. We really love it and it's holding up to traffic well. The downside has been that although we have drains in the floor, and the epoxy/pebble coating was shaped to drain towards them, it still holds water and can be a little slippery if soap is left on it at all. We were told not to use bleach, only a product like simple green to clean it, but that's working out fine. We are working on better ventilation for the bathrooms to help with drying the floors after mopping and lots of wet feet and dripping swimmers. We thought about doing the floor in our split level at home, but I'm still skeptical because of the holding water thing. A decent shop vac would probably be the answer though for inside. I attached a picture.

Mr Cabanna Club,

I love your cabanna club bathrooms, can you send me the contractors names and numbers? id love to hire them for a project i have too! kp0420@gmail.com

Attachments

Posted by pebblestoneflooring at November 09. 2010

www.pebblestoneflooringsystems.com you can order the product kit or they may have installers in your area. One of the few companies that offer a Do-it-yourself kit.

This is who we used for our Cabana Club floors- Valley Terrazzo Co.out of Fresno. It took two days to install so we had to put the crew (2) guys up in a motel overnight.

Attachments

Posted by Daniel Homes at March 27. 2011

Previously pebblestoneflooring wrote:

www.pebblestoneflooringsystems.com you can order the product kit or they may have installers in your area. One of the few companies that offer a Do-it-yourself kit.

That's beautiful pebble flooring. Thanks for sharing some pics. Looks like it's worth checking out.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

Posted by Tony Lau at May 16. 2011

The material should be micro pebble tile.Here is a picture,there are more colors options for you.

Find us by google,Diystone,warehouse supplier.

Attachments

Posted by Michael Liberman at June 26. 2011

Previously Daniel Homes wrote:

Previously pebblestoneflooring wrote:

That's beautiful pebble flooring. Thanks for sharing some pics. Looks like it's worth checking out.

Get a discount and find traditional to modern furniture styles for every room at furniture stores in Los Angeles.

I agree! I just bought a house that needs a bathroom remodeled, and I think I'm going to use something similar.

Posted by Mo Bevmo at February 14. 2012

I have pebbel tec floors in the entry / foyer ,  all hallways   and the  kitchen , they were installed when I moved in.   they wear like granite (    because they   ARE  granite  ay ah ay ahay ah  ).   after 12 years that I have lived with them , there is NO visible wear. plus, you can throw a handful of dirt on the floor  and it's invisible due to the nature of pebble tec .  so pebble tec hides dirt really well. no worries about scratching the floor or refinishing......  it's  gravel , it doesn't scratch ( like with wood flooring ).  thats the plus side.

the down side is that pebble tec is just that , pebbles !!!  pebbles have zillions of cracks or open spaces between the pebbles.  you can drop a glass of water on pebble tec and it instantly disappears into the space between the pebbles and you never see it again and the floor doesn't feel damp.  think   of dropping a glass of milk or food or some cleaning product  , tho,  or  having pets that wet the floor or worse.   you walk on pebble tec and the skin from your feet, along with all the small sized dust and dirt from your shoes  / environment and tons of other particles ALL fall down in-between  the  pebbles  and disappear as well. you can vacuum the floor and get a lot of it back and I frequently steam vac the pebble tec to get a little more , BUT  a LOT of it stays in there never to be removed and it  WILL  mold and develop an odor over time ( many years ).

you'd NEVER EVER want to think of it in a bathroom or kitchen ( like mine in the kitchen ) , you would be WAY better off with carpet if you want something odious  for kitchens or baths  . even carpet is  WAY easier to clean than pebble tec. 

in high traffic areas,

pebble tec will discolor some and if you use rugs , when you remove the rug, you'll see the dim outline around the carpet.  you can steam vac these areas and lighten it some but it never goes away.  if you use a broom on pebble tec, the fibers stick down in-between the stones and pull out of the broom , leaving stuff sticking out of the pebble tec  everywhere you swept.  later on ...... you walk on these and they  stick you and poke into your feet.

the only serious way to sanitize  and clean  pebble tec  is to have a " commercial " steam vac company to come in and clean it for you every now and then.  some companies have special adapters for pebble tec on their steam machines. you need SERIOUS

LY

hot steam and high powered vacuum to clean pebble tec ( home machines are VERY poor at it ).  even commercial cleaning doesn't completely remove all the dirt and odor associated with pebble tec ( and what happens down in all those porous cracks beneath your floor )

and even after a cleaning , a few days later the odor returns to stay forever ( is that odor mold  or bacteria, it's NOT a good thing for sure  ?? ) .

large sized floor tile is WAY preferable to pebble tec inside a house and FAR easier to maintain as well.  I would never put in pebble tec myself after this experience. it wears like iron but has FAR too many drawbacks.

thanks