Personal tools
Sections

Modern Metal Fence Options

by mjfree last modified May 19, 2009 03:24 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern Metal Fence Options

Posted by mjfree at May 14. 2009

My wife and I are about to install a fence around our house, and we were looking for some modern inspiration.  Originally, we were looking at doing a horizontal slat IPE or other hardwood design or concept.  Of course, that is an expensive way to go and also has some sketchy sustainability issues.   Also, living in the San Francisco bay area, we do not have a lot of land so we are trying to be cognizant of not fencing our little space in and making it feel small/dark - so we thought we would go with some kind of wire-mesh fence and grow plants along the boundary where we wanted privacy.  We started our search at the local big box stores and came up with only chain link or vinyl coated welded wire mesh.  We dont like the look of chain link, and we dont really like the welded wire mesh either.  I did some searching, and came up with this designmaster welded wire mesh which has v-grooves built in to eliminate the need for top and bottom rails.  I think this stuff looks great with clean lines, and with no horizontal top rails, it blends into the background pretty good.  I then got a quote for 7900 for 50' of 5' fence and 62.5' of 6' fencing with one small gate.  That comes out to $70.22/ft for welded wire fence.  In contrast, I could buy the cheaper welded wire fencing and galvanized fence posts for around $6/ft.  Given such a differential, I have to believe there is a better option out there to get the same look and feel?  Does anybody have any ideas or sources for a similar looking product?  Thanks in advance for any help.  Mike

Attachments

Re: Modern Metal Fence Options

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at May 17. 2009

Can you throw up a pic of your house? Does it need to be see through or would a translucent material work?

Re: Modern Metal Fence Options

Posted by mjfree at May 19. 2009

I would like it to be see-thru.  We are going to plant in front of it in areas, but Id like to see the surrounding landscape and hill, especially since much of the fence will be uphill from where we will be sitting (top of fence 10-11' from deck surface.  Therefore, it seems as if a solid fence would block too much view and light and seem overbearing.

Attachments