Sections

Modern fence post caps for 4x4 posts

by California Dreaming last modified Sep 19, 2012 04:45 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 5 votes)

Modern fence post caps for 4x4 posts

Posted by California Dreaming at January 28. 2008

Hello all -

We recently added a pretty contemporary style fence to our house. It is all done in redwood which is stained in a dark chocolate color. It's built like a typical fence with 4x4 posts and we ran the wood boards horizontal rather than traditional vertical with a 1" space in between the boards. It looks pretty good so far but we need to top off the 4x4 posts somehow...As far as fence post caps all I can seem to find is copper or stainless pyramids which really isn't our style...any ideas on something else to protect the tops of the posts and/or finish them off? I'd really like just a simple falt stainless cap if it exists out there....Thanks very much!

Re: Modern fence post caps for 4x4 posts

Posted by Jamie Stotz at January 28. 2008
These glass post caps are probably not quite what you are looking for but they might not be too ornate. http://www.woodwayproducts.com/postcap_category.asp

Re: Modern fence post caps for 4x4 posts

Posted by nick at September 19. 2012
Previously California Dreaming wrote:

Hello all -

We recently added a pretty contemporary style fence to our house. It is all done in redwood which is stained in a dark chocolate color. It's built like a typical fence with 4x4 posts and we ran the wood boards horizontal rather than traditional vertical with a 1" space in between the boards. It looks pretty good so far but we need to top off the 4x4 posts somehow...As far as fence post caps all I can seem to find is copper or stainless pyramids which really isn't our style...any ideas on something else to protect the tops of the posts and/or finish them off? I'd really like just a simple falt stainless cap if it exists out there....Thanks very much!

You could make your own caps out of zinc or copper sheet metal. Sheet metal work is pretty easy, some middle schooler at this moment is soldering together his first box. That being said stainless is a bitch to work with, and will stain eventually anyway.

if you don't like the shininess of copper you can turn it black with liver of sulfer or speed up the formation of a patina http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/metal/msg0215243215520.html