Personal tools
Sections

Modern corrugated fence help needed

by Suskela last modified May 04, 2008 10:15 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern corrugated fence help needed

Posted by Suskela at February 02. 2008

I have seen some very cool corrugated metal fences in Palm Springs, but can't figure out what materials they are made from.  I have a worker who could make it for me if I knew where to buy the materials, or would be interested if anyone knows of someone who makes them in Los Angeles.  Here's a picture - thanks

Attachments

Re: Modern corrugated fence help needed

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at February 16. 2008

I think you are looking at corrugated galvalume siding panels. You have to find a manufacturer, and then see who distributes their product locally, figure out how much you need, and place an order.

Start by googling for the siding panels. There are a lot of manufacturers.

Posted by Peter Smith at February 19. 2008

This style of metal is also commonly used in roofing.

Here's a link to an LA area supplier.

http://www.metaldeck.com/box_rib.html

Posted by Bonnie Lambert at March 28. 2008

Here are three photos of a metal and wood fence in Helena, Montana. Can't tell you how to construct, but looks pretty easy if you know anything about building materials. I'm sure all the stuff was purchased locally at home building stores.

Attachments

Posted by KRIS SMITH at March 31. 2008
Suskela, Did you ever find a vendor or manufacturer of the corrugated fence ? I too am interested, but cannot determine what metal it is composed of or where to purchase. Thanks, Kris

Posted by darrel at April 02. 2008

The first photo looks like standard metal roofing sheeting. Menards sells it in-store. I'm sure Home Depot and Lowes and the like do as well.

Posted by jennifer jenkins at April 26. 2008

I am needing some fencing and this post caught my eye.  I checked out Home Depot and found that they have a material that looks like the top picture in a white translucent polycarbonate - just the look I am interested in.  They also have posts that are made of steel that can work, I think.  I am just trying to figure out how exactly to attach them to make them work, and who to get to do a project like this. 

Also, I was planning on using cable railing on a walk deck and rooftop deck so as not to block the view.  The bid came in too high ($100/linear ft for 150 ft) so I am trying to find alternates for this too.  The picture above with the square mesh would work well, but not with wood.  I would need to find something that can hold up to Phoenix sun and heat.  Also, I need to find a way to attach the wire to the frame, so that it would be centered like in the picture, and not on just one side. 

Here is a picture of the front of my house, the fencing with the polycarbonate would go on the right to hide the ac units and provide fall protection and on the left on top of the retaining walls to provide fall protection. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

Jennifer

Posted by jennifer jenkins at April 28. 2008

Looks like the picture didn't post... hopefully it will work this time. 

Jennifer

Attachments

Posted by Jamie Stotz at April 29. 2008

I'm about to start an indoor project that uses some corrugated plastic panels. This company makes several different styles and colors in polycarbonate and PVC.

http://www.suntuf.com/Corrugated-Products.htm

They have distributors around the country; find a close one because shipping is expensive. I'm using this one in Philadelphia

http://www.hfmfgcorp.com/pages/products.htm

Their web site never mentions the Palram name, but several of the brand names match. It does have more technical details however. I'm using the Ag-Tuff PVC panels. They are about 70 cents per square foot, not including shipping. For outdoor use you should get something with UV protection in it. The SunTop foamed polycarbonate panels might be good but they only come in three colors.

In general, you pay for the raw material, so thicker panels are more expensive, and polycarbonate is more expensive than PVC. The SunTop is not as expensive as other panels of the same thickness because it is foamed, which uses less material.

Panels of this type are usually screwed to a post, stud or rafter of some sort. For roofs, you usually use screws with rubber washers under the heads, but if you don't care about leaks ( like for a fence ) you can use regular screws. It is probably a good idea to pre-drill the holes or use self drilling screws, to prevent cracking the panels. I'm probably going to use screws designed to attach metal lath to metal studs. They have what is known as a "modified truss" head, which is large and flat and will distribute the pressure of the screw over a larger area. Don't over-tighten.

I'm plan to use a 24" stud spacing for the Ag-tuff panels. They are on a wall, and the corrugations will run horizontally. They will certainly flex if pushed on but they shouldn't be too floppy. The SunTop is much stiffer, judging from the sample I have.

Posted by jon doe at April 30. 2008

I'd get a second quote for the cable railing.  There are not many materials out there cheaper than cable.  100$/ft is ludicrous

Posted by Peter Smith at May 04. 2008

Check these guys out for cable

http://www.stainlesscablesolutions.com/contact.html

Previously jennifer jenkins wrote:

I am needing some fencing and this post caught my eye.  I checked out Home Depot and found that they have a material that looks like the top picture in a white translucent polycarbonate - just the look I am interested in.  They also have posts that are made of steel that can work, I think.  I am just trying to figure out how exactly to attach them to make them work, and who to get to do a project like this. 

Also, I was planning on using cable railing on a walk deck and rooftop deck so as not to block the view.  The bid came in too high ($100/linear ft for 150 ft) so I am trying to find alternates for this too.  The picture above with the square mesh would work well, but not with wood.  I would need to find something that can hold up to Phoenix sun and heat.  Also, I need to find a way to attach the wire to the frame, so that it would be centered like in the picture, and not on just one side. 

Here is a picture of the front of my house, the fencing with the polycarbonate would go on the right to hide the ac units and provide fall protection and on the left on top of the retaining walls to provide fall protection. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

Jennifer

Posted by Thomas Anderson at May 04. 2008

Previously Suskela wrote:

I have seen some very cool corrugated metal fences in Palm Springs, but can't figure out what materials they are made from.  I have a worker who could make it for me if I knew where to buy the materials, or would be interested if anyone knows of someone who makes them in Los Angeles.  Here's a picture - thanks

The metal often seen as fencing material in Palm Springs is the Mega Rib panel by http://www.mcelroymetal.com/content/products/

It's sold in any length you request and comes in various colors plus galvalume.  I used it last year and the price was reasonable.