Modern kitchen cabinets - Ikea to Pedini to Balthaup

by Jason last modified Oct 07, 2013 07:07 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 52 votes)
Click to change your rating:
  worthless bad average good great

Re: Modern kitchen cabinets - Ikea to Pedini to Balthaup

Posted by brent jespersen at December 18. 2008

designer kitchens are made in factories....local cabinet makers can not create the overall look and feel of most manufactured kitchens.

it's more than the blum hinges.  it's all in the details.  pedeni, boffi, bulthaup, poliform.  you get what you pay for.

Posted by Jason at January 14. 2009

I disagree. I looked at Alno kitchens and they gave me a price of $45,000 for our kitchen. I had a local cabinet guy make a knockoff for $27,000. Stainless steel edge banding and the exact foil material Alno uses. I know Alno will have a better made product because it is made on million dollar machines but the real question is how much better? If I have to pay $20,000 more for 4% better quality, well then no thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcminn/3272511403/sizes/l/

Posted by David at January 16. 2009
Great looking kitchen and I would always rather work with a local craftsman at 3/5s the price for 96% of the value... by the way I like your kitchen tiles - who makes them?

Posted by Jason at January 16. 2009

David - the backsplash tile is from Ann Sacks.

Posted by Steve Rapport at January 18. 2009

One name I haven't seen mentioned here is Ernesto Meda. Their modern kitchens are absolutely beautiful, very elegant and clean. I was quoted $41,000 for the cabinets for my LV Home. They also quoted $25,000 for another (lovely) line with cheaper cabinets. 

If I had the money, then I'd love the Ernesto Meda kitchen. Another very nice modern kitchen design is from Henry Built in Seattle, and quite reasonable at $20K.

Since both quotes are way outside my price range, I'm almost certainly going with Rocio Romero's suggestion, the white gloss IKEA Akurum cabinets, which will come in at under $5K. I'll be adding Slate (black) Paperstone counter tops from EcoHome Improvement in Emeryville for another $4K.

- Steve

Posted by Laurie Warner at January 25. 2009

Previously Jason wrote:

I disagree. I looked at Alno kitchens and they gave me a price of $45,000 for our kitchen. I had a local cabinet guy make a knockoff for $27,000. Stainless steel edge banding and the exact foil material Alno uses. I know Alno will have a bigger made product because it is made on million dollar machines but the real question is how much better? If I have to pay $20,000 more for 4% better quality, well then no thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcminn/2649080009/sizes/l/in/set-72157600054458911/

Your new kitchen is beautiful.  If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would like the name of your cabinet guy.

I am interested in replicating the  Pedini look.

Posted by Grace Jones at January 27. 2009

Expressions Design is a Kitchen Cabinet Designer specializing in Modern Kitchen Cabinet Design, based in Massachusetts MA. Visit our website for more information on our services.

My wife and I are building a new house and have been struck by the design of Poggenpohl, Alno, Balthaup, Poliform etc. We came across Pedini as a slightly lower cost alternative @ $700-800 per linear foot v. $1000+ per linear foot for Poggenpohl, Balthaup etc.   http://www.davonne.com.au

Posted by plastolux at February 27. 2009

Just ran across this company, really nice

http://plastolux.com/modern-kitchens-eastvold-custom-woodworks.html

Posted by Jason at March 02. 2009

Laurie,

Cabinet Masters in Dallas made them.

Talk to Mike Baird at (214) 821-6200.

Here is a photo of the kitchen finished.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcminn/3272511403/sizes/l/

Previously Laurie Warner wrote:

Your new kitchen is beautiful.  If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would like the name of your cabinet guy.

I am interested in replicating the  Pedini look.

Posted by diane duffey at April 08. 2009

Has anyone used Sherr's cabinets?

http://www.scherrs.com/

We're thinking of having them do the boxes and having the fronts locally made. We're going for flat panel, full overlay, white matt lacquer. Please advise... They can do more custom work and have lots of options, yet are on par price-wise with IKEA.

Posted by DallasBill at April 09. 2009

We had a local craftsman here in Dallas do our cabinets (and the pecan counter tops). Quality work and 1/2 of what a 'commercial' factory wants. Plus the look is always unique. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Billusa99/IMG_0052.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Billusa99/IMG_0516.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Billusa99/img_6.jpg

Posted by diane duffey at April 09. 2009

They are gorgeous. Did he build the boxes also, or just the fronts?

Posted by DallasBill at April 10. 2009

Thank you for the kind words!  He built everything -- very talented, one-man shop.

Posted by diane duffey at April 10. 2009

I am starting to screen local contractors to do custom cabinets. Ironically, prices have come down about 50% of what I was hearing about 18 months ago. Some of these guys are really starving for business. Most bids are coming in at $10,000 to $15,000.

We've also moved away from Pedini, which is who we were going to go with. They have beautiful stuff, but the Euro kept going up, and as it did, so did their pricing. At that time, the local custom guys were as costly, if not more, than Pedini. Now, it seems things have flipped.

Any advice or insight to offer?

thanks...

Posted by DallasBill at April 10. 2009

Just 3 basic things:
1) our designer/builder had used the craftsman before, so knew his work.
2) he took us to 3 of his previously done homes, where the owners let us see the results first hand. That was of particular concern to us WRT to the decision to go with some pecan countertops, as to wear and tear, upkeep, etc.
3) after deciding on cabinet design, we shopped the handles ourselves.

1 & 2 may not be something that can happen everywhere, but references and seeing something, even if pictures, is key.
Good luck!

Posted by ModFruGal at April 22. 2009
We priced out both Ikea white and red high gloss Abstrakt and white gloss Venecia by Kraftmaid. Venecia was double Ikea and the money I saved I used toward other upgrades. http://modfrugal.com/tag/kitchen-before-and-after/ Like many have mentioned here, custom doors for the Ikea frames is a great compromise to get what you want within your budget.

Posted by Jonathan Oltmann at April 27. 2009
Plan on upgrading our kitchen in the next month or so, plan to do a combination of Ikea and custom to get a high-ned look (think Henry Built) for a much lower price. I will be doing all of the work myself. I have thought about starting a blog to chart our progress and the transformation of the space.

Posted by Nati Cohen at September 19. 2011

modern kitchen cabinets Caesarstone’s

Posted by Arthur Purcell at January 02. 2012

Previously Jason wrote:

I know there have been some threads on kitchen systems in the past but it seems most of them focus around particular brand names, etc. We historically used Ikea cabinets in our projects and have found them to be a great buy for the money (typically around $6,000 installed) but have had a hard time finding a "next step up" modern cabinet system - something in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. Siematic, Balthaup, PoggenPohl, Nell, Belle, (the list goes on) are all nice kitchen systems, but range in price from $60,000 to $90,000 for a large kitchen (35-45 lineal feet)

Thanks to Diane Duffey on the lead for Pedini. I am having them price out some things. They appear to be half of a Siematic kitchen (around $30,000-ish) but am looking for more midrange options. Anyone know of any? Seems like there is a HUGE gap in modern cabinet systems from the low end (Ikea) to the high-end (Siematic, Balthaup) that someone should be working in? I wish Ikea would come up with a premium line that is $10,000 to $14,000 a kitchen.

Our experience with Ikea:

1. Good value
2. Readily available (under 4 weeks)
3. Decent door styles (although with Hallarum gone and black/brown unavailable, it is getting worst)

Anyone have any leads or ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

We recently were in the same predicament.  Unable to afford "high-end" cabinetry as you mentioned, but not fully comfortable with IKEA (although we like the style).  We found what we think is a perfect solution (at least for us).  The cabinetry is called Viola Park, and it is produced by Henrybuilt, an excellent high-end cabinet company that saw the demand for lower priced, quality modern modular cabinets, and really delivered.  A very unique buying and design system. I am beginning a renovation of my home and kitchen right now and began writing about these cabinets in my blog, which has the links to the companies.   http://purcellart.wordpress.com.  Please check it out, and good luck.

Arthur

Posted by kitchensfocus at June 02. 2012

Nice pics Tom I will definitely used this ideas during my <a href=http://www.kitchensinfocus.com.au/>kitchen renovation </a>process

Posted by alicia yap at June 18. 2012

Kitchen cabinet design help to improve the look of your kitchen, cabinet is the main thing in kitchen that attract people attention.

http://www.facebook.com/kitchencabinetsingapore

Posted by kitchenguy at July 28. 2012

Mordo,

Not sure where you got your experience in the cabinet trade but if you are correct, how come there's not even one decent lower price cabinet out there, that can deliver the same finish and attention to detail the higher end guys do...? If you are an IKEA kitchens fan, for the price - I can't argue with you, but their quality is way sub par... Their doors look so cheap, that nobody (not even an uneducated consumer) can claim they are the same...

On the traditional doors, their competition is really the low end American and Chinese cabinets and so they can still compete. But on the modern kitchens, they simply are in a different league than the better European brands. Have you looked at their doors up close...?!? They also have extremely limited SKUs (choices of cabinets) because it is all from stock. So it is nearly impossible to design a decent kitchen. Not to mention that fact that they are all knocked down in a box and need to be assembled...

Example to the above: Look at any of the modern kitchens in this site www.pediniusa.com - they don't offer 90% of the cabinet sizes and options in any of these designs...

I rest my case.

kitchenguy

Posted by davidraju at July 30. 2012

I would suggest you to visit once to watsolconcepts because in there so many of varieties and designs of kitchen items and etc.

Posted by lesila dem at October 04. 2012

I think both kitchen designs given in snaps are very elegant and flashy but these designs are not give any  guarantee to use kitchen space optimistically for happening smooth operations like cooking.

Powered your health with best food and powered your kitchen with : RTA Cabinets

Posted by Dina Davis at October 04. 2012

Hello,

have you checked Dayoris.com?  They build nice custom cabinets at an amazing price. You can bring your own designs and ask them for any suggestions. They have been around a while. Their phone number is 305-572-0707.

Posted by MarionTPennington at November 06. 2012

Its might be a good idea to hire a local pro to order and install the cabinets.

Try here - http://www.construction-bids.com/cabinets-install.php

Posted by Vicky Dayle at November 26. 2012

They are a great way to save big when remodeling or working with new construction. However, there are other factors just as important as getting kitchen cabinets wholesale when your budget is tight.
Learn more about "http://www.kitchencabinetrylouisville.com/"

Posted by adpstore at August 27. 2013
Previously mojotooth wrote:

I went with Bulthaup, but I feel that I could have achieved the same L&F with Ikea. I am experiencing some quality issues with door hinges and the bar top. The key to a great kitchen is great appliances and an awesome counter top.

wow, the kitchen is amazing. Nice job

Posted by Reba Sams at October 07. 2013
Previously Jason wrote:

I know there have been some threads on kitchen systems in the past but it seems most of them focus around particular brand names, etc. We historically used Ikea cabinets in our projects and have found them to be a great buy for the money (typically around $6,000 installed) but have had a hard time finding a "next step up" modern cabinet system - something in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. Siematic, Balthaup, PoggenPohl, Nell, Belle, (the list goes on) are all nice kitchen systems, but range in price from $60,000 to $90,000 for a large kitchen (35-45 lineal feet)

Thanks to Diane Duffey on the lead for Pedini. I am having them price out some things. They appear to be half of a Siematic kitchen (around $30,000-ish) but am looking for more midrange options. Anyone know of any? Seems like there is a HUGE gap in modern cabinet systems from the low end (Ikea) to the high-end (Siematic, Balthaup) that someone should be working in? I wish Ikea would come up with a premium line that is $10,000 to $14,000 a kitchen.

Our experience with Ikea:

1. Good value
2. Readily available (under 4 weeks)
3. Decent door styles (although with Hallarum gone and black/brown unavailable, it is getting worst)

Anyone have any leads or ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

A great option for great quality and great pricing is Poliform - Varenna Kitchens.

www.poliformusa.com

You can do a great kitchen for about $10,000 to $15,000 - and this is a top quality, high end Italian brand.

Forget all the stuff about Valcucine and their green stuff - its a lot of hype and they offer no service after installation.

Posted by Reba Sams at October 07. 2013

A GREAT ITALIAN BRAND IS POLIFORM VARENNA CABINETS

WONDERFUL REPUTATION, QUALITY AND SERVICE.

THEY HAVE THE MY LIFE CAMPAIGN WHICH MEANS THEY CAN DESIGN A KITCHEN FOR ANY LIFESTYLE AND PRICEPOINT.

FROM $10,000 TO $50,000