Personal tools
Sections

Hardi vs CertainTeed

by Jill Hayes last modified May 13, 2009 07:01 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Hardi vs CertainTeed

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 06. 2009

Anyone know anything about how the two compare? I've googled and it seems the general concensus is that it is vertually identical, but I was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience. My builder has used CertainTeed before and it seems to be cheaper, but I'm wondering about quality, durability, warranty, etc.

One down side I see immediately is that Certainteed seems to have less color choices so I may have to buy it primed and pay someone to paint it. But one pro is that Certainteed can be stainted to give the look of natural wood, which is nice since I wanted to do some natural wood accents on the exterior. How cheesy and ridiculous does this stained fiber cement board look, I do not know. I have my doubts.

So what say you, LM crowd?

I warned you I would have lots of questions on random things, I just hope I don't seem like a nuisance! Please bare with me!

Re: Hardi vs CertainTeed

Posted by Mary Shaw at May 10. 2009

Previously Jill Hayes wrote:

Anyone know anything about how the two compare? I've googled and it seems the general concensus is that it is vertually identical, but I was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience. My builder has used CertainTeed before and it seems to be cheaper, but I'm wondering about quality, durability, warranty, etc.

One down side I see immediately is that Certainteed seems to have less color choices so I may have to buy it primed and pay someone to paint it. But one pro is that Certainteed can be stainted to give the look of natural wood, which is nice since I wanted to do some natural wood accents on the exterior. How cheesy and ridiculous does this stained fiber cement board look, I do not know. I have my doubts.

So what say you, LM crowd?

I warned you I would have lots of questions on random things, I just hope I don't seem like a nuisance! Please bare with me!

Posted by brano rataj at May 10. 2009
mary, i am not sure what exactly is your siding project going to look like but here are few of my comments.
i dont know about quality difference between hardie and certainteed, i would say it is pretty much the same product
if you want the look of wood on your siding, use real wood. there is nothing uglier than something that is not wood trying to look like wood. cedar textured trex decking, or hardie palnks be as  examples. there are several different grades of cedar wood siding for example, if you cant afford clear grade, get get something in the middle of grade range, price is very reasonable and wood still looks good. we are using hardwood for our siding, again, many different kinds with different price ranges.
are you using planks /lapsiding/ or panels? if you are going to use panels i would definatelly get them just primed. you are most likely to cut panels to fit, thus exposing light cement color of the panel on the cuts. also screwing or nailing the panels is going to expose some of the panel color itself. you will end up touching up every single place where the panel was attached. it is extremly hard to match the exact color of the panel with your touch up color. most likely you will end up with spots of slightly different color what will look terrible.  if you get panels primed, you just need to paint the whole thing after it is installed and have one solid color. if you are using horizontal blind nailed planks, you dont have to worry about it though.

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 10. 2009

thanks, brano. apparently 'mary shaw' quoted my post, but didn't actually reply...?

i will be using both plank and panel. judging by limited color options on both brands, it looks like we will have to paint it ourselves anyways. i hope it will hold up as well this way, but who knows.

When it comes to the places where we want cedar, I think we will use the real thing and just maintain it as opposed to trying to fake it. as for the other, painted, areas (the plank and panel) i am in no way trying to make this look like real wood.

i'm seeing now that there are many other brands out there - nichiha (sp?) and LP Smartside to name a couple. this makes me even more concerned about the brand we choose. want to get a great product, but don't want to spend more than we have too. having this exact same dilema with choosing windows. our budget is tight, and i don't want to skimp on the important items, but i don't want to overpay if i can get the same quality for a lesser known name.

i think the windows are going to be the death of me! i'm so concerned.

jill, i can understand your concerns, we have been through process of planing and budgeting our future house for more then one year now, and hopefully if everything goes well we will be breaking ground this month. i can tell you so far it is wery exciting and stressfull process at the sam time. we are also planing to have fibrecement siding and yes there are a lot of different products out there. we decided for hardie so far. as for windows, we went through many different brands, did a lot of research. we got quotes for windows that ranged from $5,000 to over $70,000. me and my wife are both architects and we had a lot of resources and help from our cooworkers, also after talking to several reps and visiting different brands showrooms we , finally settled with aluminum clad wood windows from jeld wen. the quality to price ratio is quite good. they were some design limitation that we had to design around but nothing major. if you are on the budget you have to make a lot of compromises. just to make it complete, the other brands we were considering were marvin, kolbe and m windows.

i have a blog here if you were interested, and also feel free to contact me if i could be of any help.  

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 10. 2009

I'm not sure how I feel about aluminum clad. maybe I'm just not sure I understand what that is exactly. Is that wood on the inside and aluminum on the outside?

My priority is first, energy efficiency. second, low maintenance. I need something that will hold up over time and keep my utility bills down. We are not into double or single hung windows, mostly awning, fixed and casements if budget allows. We are trying to build a $200k house, if that helps. not sure what percentage windows should/will be. We are not doing wood trim around the windows (at least not initially) b/c we prefer the clean look of just the drywall trimming it out - the term escapes me - so I don't think wood interior is necessary, unless we were to get it at a great price.

I would love to hear ANY advice/knowledge you have from your window search. I'm guessing I will just hit Lowes and HD and bombard them with questions on different brands until I feel comfortable. about to check out your blog. thank you so much for being willing to share your experience!

yes you got it right. it is aluminum (either extruded or rolled) over a wood window main frame. again, it is about your preference, aesthetics and budget. you can alco get fiberglass as your exterior over the wood frame, which is also very good option, not as expensive but still looking great. i dont think that quality windows require much maintainance except cleaning them once in a while. we also opted only for fixed, awning and casement windows, in addition we will have sliding patio door, which is the most expensive part of the package. also not doing any trim, we actually hate all the moldings, trims and casings arount openings if you know what i mean. i would recommend speaking with local reps for window brands. from my experience i didnt find home depot sales people to know as much about the product. also they dont offer the full line of products for the brands. the line we picked from jeld wen is not even carried in home depot. they dont have marvin, or kolbe windows. i wouldnt go with cheapest builders windows offered in hd. i am assuming you are trying to make your home energy efficient too. 

also windows energy efficiency is just a gimmick in my opinion. it is defined as U value which is 1/R value. there is not much difference between U28 or U35. we are talking about  0.5 difference when converted to R value, but couple thousands (depending how many windows) in dollar value. not worth it in my opinion. save those $$$ for closed cell foam insulation for your exterior walls. you will be doing more good. however some municipalitys raquire minimum U value in their local codes. 

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 11. 2009

thank you! i have been doing research about spray foam insulation and i really think it is the way to go. unfortunately, money constrictions and builder knowledgability will dictate if we can use it or not. I'm afraid around here (TN) that isn't used too often. My builder has already mentioned us using blown-in insulation, which is basically just like reg insulation, but loose and blown in tighter. He will probably scoff at spray foam insulation.

but hopefully we can use it. it's hard when it's not readily available (i'm not saying it's not, you just don't hear of it much) and the people aren't used to working with it. i think i will look into it some more.

checked out your blog and it looks like we are on the same phase that you are - except you have gotten your building permit. we got held up on some technicalities on our property deed so that has delayed the process. if you don't mind me asking, how outrageous are building permits in your area? you don't have to get specific. here in our county, we have to pay $2/ heated sq ft plus $.35 for every sq ft under the roof. needless to say, it's going to be expensive. everyone else around here that has built within the last few years was really shocked at how much it has gone up. they all paid just a few hundred.

Posted by brano rataj at May 11. 2009

jill,

blown in cellulose insulation tends to set after some time. make sure your builder knows what he is doing. usually adding some sticky additive helps to prevent sagging. it also helps reduce air infiltration, but not as much as foam. considering foam availability, there are diy kits available on internet, i am not sure how difficult it is to install it yourself if you have no experience with it. if you decide to go with foam make sure you use closed cel, which has double the R value of open cell. we are just sparying 2" of foam to seal the envelope and then we are using batts for remaining 6" cavity. this adds up to pretty decent R value of 33 on walls and 57 roof.

for permit we pait around $6000 of which aproximatelly half is sales tax which we can claim back by submitting all receipts for material to our building department. what i think is absolutelly absurd  are tap fees. those will cost us around $25,000 just for letting us to tap the mains. 

Posted by ModFruGal at May 12. 2009
Jill, Who is your Hardie installer? On the insulation front... people in Nashville do use the foam and are familiar with it. It is the way to go. Our house was originally built with it and it is a wonderful product...if building from scratch...don't let them talk you into the loose stuff as you will have to reapply years down the road when it settles so the upfront increase in cost is worth it...plus it's easy to apply in new construction. I recently replaced some doors with Jeld-wen wood composite doors...so it looks and paints like wood, but has rot resistance etc...smooth finish..no fake wood grain. We ordered them through HD. I'm pretty sure they use the same material for some of their windows as well. I think we have decided on Galvalume for our siding, but I am still interested in who quoted your Hardie install as panel installation is harder to get done than the horizontal lap.

Posted by Jill Hayes at May 13. 2009

Brano - so you are going to do the spray in foam yourself?? i need to know about that. I had a local BioBased guy call me recently. He said it wasn't something my builder could do unless he had been trained and invested in the equipment. i really really want to use SIF but am really concerned about it being 3x more. i realize it's a great investment, but that doesn't make my budget any bigger. two" of foam and 6 " of batts sounds like a decent route, though.

ModFruGal - My builder has experience installing CertainTeed so that is probably what we are going with, depending on cost difference between the two brands. I have heard they are basically identical, so whichever is cheaper is what we will go with.  Panel is going to be more tricky than the plank, especially as we will want something more modern looking that howver they typical install it (I'm assuming). Still don't have the details on how I want it to look worked out just yet.

Do you guys really, truly believe that I need a "certified" installer (as in someone sent out by the manufacturer) come and do my Hardie/Certainteed? This seems like it would just naturally cost more than letting my builder handle it, but I don't want someone doing a crap job either...