Personal tools
Sections

low cost cement board siding panels?

by Maximillian last modified May 01, 2007 09:44 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)
Click to change your rating: (not rated)
  worthless bad average good great

low cost cement board siding panels?

Posted by Maximillian at March 15. 2007

I am looking for cement board panels that I would be able to get localy (CA). I have read that Hardie make panels but their website seems to cater to the track house market..cant seem to find a cheap and available cement board panel in any size. I am looking for something that looks modern but is really an off the shelf..get it at your local hardware store...type product.  Something that is common but is used in an uncommon way.

This is my first post...

Thanks,

Max

Re: low cost cement board siding panels?

Posted by Mark Meyer at March 15. 2007
Max, You will want to look for smooth finish Hardi-Panel or Hard- Soffit, or other similar products. The Hardi should be available at your local big box store. You should also be able to find similar products made by competing companies at your local building materials yard. Mark

Posted by Maximillian at March 15. 2007

Can I apply it directly to the sheathing like any other siding? I do not want the complexity of a rain screen. Has any one ripped this stuff and applied it in 3.5"+- strips?

This Materials & Methods forum is a dream..

Any AUGI folks seem in the Revit forum.

Thanks

Max

Posted by Mark Meyer at March 16. 2007

Most people do apply it directly over the drainage layer (housewrap/ building-paper) though you get a much better performing wall by applying it over a minimal airspace. No matter you WILL want to paint ALL sides of the material prior to installation.

If you are interested in strips, look at the smooth Hardi-Plank siding. You can rip the material with a carbide blade on a table-saw, but the amount of nasty (and harmful) dust that it kicks up is considerable.

Posted by brent jespersen at April 09. 2007
mark do you have pictures of this kind of product. i may want to do something like this on one of my current projects. is this along the lines of the parklex stuff? or that minerit stuff?

Posted by JB at April 09. 2007

A note on ripping cement panels...

As Mark said- the dust kicked off by a saw is amazing-  you can get the clapboard in the same smooth finish- so you could save yourself a lot of cutting by getting lap siding and ripping it in half rather than ripping whole sheets.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/hardiplank.php

Before committing to this you might want to play with some scraps-  it's really unstable and brittle material until it's fatsened to something rigid-  When you pick up a long piece -even at 8" thickness- they flop around and get unwieldy.  3" strips would take a delicate touch to get into place.

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at April 09. 2007
Keep in mind that you can get trim pieces from Hardie as well - smaller dimension, but thicker. I doubt this will be inexpensive though, and at that point you might consider other materials.

Posted by JohnC at April 09. 2007

Ripping cement board panels is not fun (yes, lots of nasty dust). Also, the cut edges are kind of fuzzy and do not match the factory edges very well. We used smooth cement panels recently and found it looked best if we could avoid cut edges that butted to other panels. We only used cut edges around openings and at corners.

As far as suppliers, Certanteed makes also makes a smooth cement panel that is primed on all sides in 4x8, 4x9 and 4x10. We ran the siding horizontally and had a custom Z flashing made to separate the horizontal seams.

John

Posted by Hendry at April 13. 2007

Certainteed offers a 5.25 inch smooth lap siding that might work (it is a bit wider that you had stated you were looking for) and it is easy to find.  I have both 4x8 sheets and some lap siding on my home and like the finished look (painted) of both.

Posted by Timothy Faust at May 01. 2007
www.mag-board.com

Previously Maximillian wrote:

I am looking for cement board panels that I would be able to get localy (CA). I have read that Hardie make panels but their website seems to cater to the track house market..cant seem to find a cheap and available cement board panel in any size. I am looking for something that looks modern but is really an off the shelf..get it at your local hardware store...type product.  Something that is common but is used in an uncommon way.

This is my first post...

Thanks,

Max