Personal tools
Sections

Looking for interior lighting LED ceiling cans

by diane duffey last modified May 14, 2012 12:29 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Looking for interior lighting LED ceiling cans

Posted by diane duffey at June 02. 2009

We need to find a small size interior LED ceiling cans that support cathedral, 45degree ceilings. Ideally these would be smaller than 6in cans. Any recommendations on what to use/not to use? Sources?

Thanks,  di

Re: Looking for interior lighting LED ceiling cans

Posted by Peter Smith at June 04. 2009

Previously diane duffey wrote:

We need to find a small
size interior LED ceiling cans that support cathedral, 45degree
ceilings. Ideally these would be smaller than 6in cans. Any recommendations on what to use/not to use? Sources?

Thanks,  di

Cree are the acknowledged leaders in LED cans and as you will see from the attached, they are quite pricey.

http://www.environmentallights.com/categories/1003_2385/led-ceiling-cans

I looked at then a while ago and I see they have since added eyeball cans which may suit your ceiling line.

We considered these for our new house but apart from the cost I was concerned about our ability to change them in the very high ceilings (up to 15' in our case) we will have. Yes, I know they are supposed to last forever but you never know, and I wanted to be able to use a changing tool if ever needed, such as

http://www.budgetlighting.com/gfx/bayco/lbc2000-ad.jpg

Given our power will come from Solar Panels, the LED savings are less of an issue.

Posted by diane duffey at June 04. 2009

That's an interesting point about solar. These cans are very expensive. It might make sense to do a cost comparison between the two options. Thanks so much for sharing the source, but also this idea.

Posted by richierod at June 04. 2009

I recently had to change an LED bulb that died prematurely - luckily still under warranty. It does happen!

Also, make sure to buy the highest light output you can find. LEDs are just now starting to be manufactured in usable wattages - especially for high ceilings. They also tend to be more of a focused light source then regular floods (at least in the ones I've seen).

I've been fairly happy with mine, wish they were a bit brighter. A good source for bulbs is www.eternaleds.com.

The price of the cans Peter mentioned seems reasonable compared with the costs of bulbs, especially considering they are 650 lumen.

-R.

Posted by diane duffey at June 04. 2009

I calculated that we'd want 6 lights for every 100 sq feet. Is that a good ballpark measure? Are you finding that you need more LEDs due to their dimness?

Posted by richierod at June 05. 2009

I have 3 LEDs at 400 lumens each shining over a bar/breakfast area of approx. 3' x 12'. This is barely adequate, and when I can I will switch over to 650 lumen bulbs and use the 400 lumen for another application. I'm not a math major but if you multiply lumens x bulb divided by sq ft you would get lumens per sq ft, right? My current setup is 33 lumens/sq ft., and your proposed is 39 lumens/sq ft., using 650 lumens per bulb. I would guess that that is not enough. I wonder if there is some standard for lumens per sq ft that is applied to general lighting. You could/should go for more fixtures, and if they are dimmable like the Cree fixtures are, then you can dim them if it's too much illumination. A quick Googling of lumens/sq ft turns up a number of 80 lumens/ sq ft fir the kitchen and 40 lumens/sq ft for living rooms. Since my bar/breakfast area is in my kitchen, it could be that I am expecting more towards the 80 lumen/sq ft number and that your 39 lumens/sq ft would be adequate for your living room. I'd still err on the side of caution though. If you Google "lumens per square foot" you will find some usable info after you wade through the umpteen entries regarding pot growing ( 5,000 to 7,000 lumens per sq ft!).

One thing I'd like to mention is that if you live in California and the areas you are lighting are subject to Title 24 restrictions  (kitchens, bathrooms, closets and outdoor areas), LED lights are not included in the allowable fixtures, only flourescent. So  make sure you talk to your inspector and get a specific exemption for the LED bulbs/fixtures. If the inspector looks up to your ceiling and sees normal, screw-in type cans ready for your LED bulbs, you will not pass your inspection!

-R.

Posted by LeeHone at May 14. 2012

The stock dome [url=http://www.ledstrips8.com/outdoor-led-lighting-c-11.html]led flood lights[/url] light is pretty weak on the 2002 Sportage. (on mine, and on 3 others I've been in.) Does anyone know of a brighter aftermarket replacement that will fit nicely, not require cutting the headliner and will look nice after mounting?

Secondly... I'm sure we've all enjoyed how [url=http://www.ledstrips8.com/flexible-led-strip-lighting-c-32.html]blue led strip[/url] rain (or windshield fluid) comes *right* off the windshield, around the door pillar and inside the cabin when you're driving at speed and have the front windows down any more than 2 inches.

Can anyone recommend some decent vent shades/vent visors for the 4dr model? (Again, a 2002) I don't want some that look like crap or won't deflect the rain/blue stuff out of the cab, and I don't want to do any drilling into the vehicle to [url=http://www.ledstrips8.com/led-panel-lights-c-24.html]led panel[/url] mount them. Ideas appreciated, links even more!

Thanks.