Personal tools
Sections

Modern Horizontal Cedar Siding

by Warm Modernism last modified Apr 01, 2012 02:38 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Modern Horizontal Cedar Siding

Posted by Warm Modernism at April 21. 2010

After a long search on how to achieve a horizontal cedar siding as a DIYselfer, here is what I was able to create.

Let me know if you need any more details, this is just a general overview.

1) Drive to all the Home Depots and Lowes in the area, hand picking 1x4 cedar boards of any length. The wood I bought is rough sawn but smooth in the back side. The problem is that the wood is rated on the rough sawn side so I had to hand select the better looking boards based on the smooth side. The alternative is to buy clear grade or select grade boards, in my case that would have doubled or tripled the price.

2) Give the boards a ship lap profile to keep moisture out. I called a ton of lumber yards and I could not get a quote lower than $800 for labor only to get the profile so I did it my self with a table saw, a dado set and a little special feathering tool to hold the boards as I ran them. Took about 5 days, 3 hours a day to run all the boards. Not bad, thats about $50+/hr.

3)Stain the back side of the boards, I used Cabot Cedar Finish Stain #3002. Make sure you wear gloves, the stuff is sticky.

4) Nail the boards directly to the studs I used no backer using galvanized nails with shank rings, not hot dipped. Make sure you stain any field cuts.

5) Once nailed, stain the front and voila! Sit back and enjoy a beer.

It took me about 2 weekends and some week days to do this back side. It took me 1 weekend to do the front entrance pictured on the blog below.

Sorry, could not post pictures. Check out my blog:

Back :

http://modrenovation.blogspot.com/2010/04/back-yard-final-touches.html

Front:

http://modrenovation.blogspot.com/2010/04/cedar-in-front.html

Re: Modern Horizontal Cedar Siding

Posted by Warm Modernism at April 27. 2010

Modern siding pictureOK, here we go. I figured out how to add a picture, thanks.

Posted by brano rataj at October 24. 2010

Posted by brano rataj at October 24. 2010

your example doesnt represent modern siding. i would do rain screen with open joints instead. i would also get cedar from lumber yard instead of hd. they have several grades of cedar to serve your needs.

Posted by bizarchetype at April 01. 2012
Previously brano rataj wrote:

your example doesnt represent modern siding. i would do rain screen with open joints instead. i would also get cedar from lumber yard instead of hd. they have several grades of cedar to serve your needs.

Says who?!  I think this looks great... and modern.  And when you get lumber from a yard (ordering it), you can't select the pieces.  I found this thread because this is exactly what I'm doing for my siding.