Personal tools
Sections

Re: Horizonal cedar siding- How to DIY?

by Danielle Houser last modified Apr 01, 2012 04:57 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Posted by Danielle Houser at March 06. 2011

I just joined LiveModern...what I fantastic site!!! my husband and I just finished a 3 year renovation of our home in southern Ca.  The exterior is smooth stucco...and we just put on a metal roof. We have done lots of the work ourselves... We want to install cedar siding to some of the house (probably around the front door ) but not sure how to go about installing it. I have read some great posts on here....and I have read about a rain screen. That seems like it is an essential part of the process. I am attaching a pic of our exterior (our front railing needs to be installed before our permits expire in April!

Also, any ideas on where to put the siding? I feel that that the front of the house is extremely boring. There are not many windows in the front of the house because we are on a hillside and the rear of the house  has floor to ceiling windows for the view. I am attaching a photo.

Thanks !!

here is the pic

Attachments

2 more

Attachments

Posted by bizarchetype at April 01. 2012

Perfect application for a cedar rain screen!  I assume you finished this last year?  Pics?

Had I been on here back then, I would have suggested a railing that mimicked the rain screen look.  Perhaps a three foot rain screen wall on the top (entrance) tier, that extended all the way out to the left to form a screen for the steps (you would need to affix the hand rail to the back side of this screen), then a screen on the house wall to repeat this element.