Personal tools
Sections

Alumuminum window manufacturers

by Gregory La Vardera last modified May 01, 2007 06:23 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Alumuminum window manufacturers

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 23. 2007
Any suggestions for a western vendor of Alumunum windows? I know Milgard, I know Fleetwood. Any others you like? Good value?

Re: Alumuminum window manufacturers

Posted by Jed Stamen at March 23. 2007

Greg,

I have just finished shopping windows for a modern home I am building in San Clemente, California.  I looked at many manufacturers and I have decided to go with Window Master which was recently bought out by Jeld Wen.  They are made in San Diego and are build very well and are priced right.  Check them out.  They are available through Ganahl Lumber.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/windows/aluminum/windowmaster/index.cfm?collection_id=59

I hope this helps.  Jed Stamen

Posted by Gregory La Vardera at March 23. 2007
That's a very good lead - thank you. JeldWen is a good company, and they have several other aluminum lines as well.

Posted by Jermaine Greene at March 23. 2007

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

That's a very good lead - thank you. JeldWen is a good company, and they have several other aluminum lines as well.

nice find!

Posted by Jason Hammond at March 30. 2007

Have you looked into Pultruded Fiberglass as an option rather than aluminum? There's a company out of Canada called Accurate Dorwin that we are looking at for our house. This new method of Pultruding the fiberglass leads to a smooth aluminum looking finish that actually has an R-value to it and you can get it painted any color under the sun.

Posted by James Wagner at April 02. 2007

We did our entire house with fiberglass windows. 

Our choice was driven by the fact that we didn't want the maintenance of wood, and couldn't consider vinyl because of the spans for our glazing.  Commercial aluminum was looking very expensive too...

Also, unlike the wood windows we were looking at, the price for custom colours was very reasonable.

The frame of the windows is quite slender, and we went without brick molding for a nice clean exterior.

For the glass, we chose Pilkinton's Activ glass which "self cleans", which works really well when you don't have soffits because the glass gets plenty of rain rinsing.

The supplier was Thermotech http://www.thermotechfiberglass.com/index.htm

Take a look at the (mostly) finished project at http://wagnersonline.org

Posted by william w at April 21. 2007

Previously Gregory La Vardera wrote:

Any suggestions for a western vendor of Alumunum windows? I know Milgard, I know Fleetwood. Any others you like? Good value?

Bonelli in South San Francisco (high end) and Blomberg in Sacramento.  Vistawall  might be another alternative too.

I am looking at all three for a small (1200 sq ft) in Napa area.  Would love to hear from others and ideas on (good value) hardware options.

Posted by Matthew O. Daby at April 25. 2007

It's too bad that jeldwen's line are not thermally broken frames.  Milgard and Fleetwood got 'em on that contest.

Posted by Jim Meehan at May 01. 2007

Previously william w wrote:

Bonelli in South San Francisco (high end) and Blomberg in Sacramento.  Vistawall  might be another alternative too.

Here's another vote for Blomberg.  We used their windows in our home and have been happy with them so far.  Very reasonably priced compared to national brands with big marketing/advertising budgets.

Blomberg also has a showroom at the Berkeley Design Center.