Personal tools

Help me design my new modern kitchen!

by Kirk Washburn last modified Feb 22, 2012 10:13 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Help me design my new modern kitchen!

Posted by Kirk Washburn at February 22. 2012

I've spent a tremendous amount of time working on a design for my new modern kitchen.  I thought I was all set to go with my design, but then I got my cabinet samples, and realized I might have to scrap my current design.  Here's a little background:

1. I've got the layout of the kitchen more or less set at this point.
  2. My plan is to use Ikea cabinets with some custom doors and cover panels.
  3. My existing floors are brazilian cherry.  They are very nice, but the red is part of the reason for this redesign.

This was my original design, that I was pretty happy with:

I finally got my cabinet samples, which are in eucalyptus, and closely match the color of my brazilian cherry floors, but I suddenly realized my cabinetry and floors would be much more red than what is portrayed in my design.

I've already bought all my cabinets, minus the doors, so the layout is pretty much set at this point, but I'm hoping for some input on how to deal with the brazilian cherry floors.  Here are some ideas I've put together...

1. go all white up top, and have the base of the island match the floor.  This new design more accurately reflects the real color of my floors and possible cabinetry:

I'm not totally in love with this design.  It seems a little too stark to me.

2. I also thought of adding very dark grey counters to the above design... not sure I love this either, but here's a picture:

Any other ideas on where to go from here?  Thanks!