Personal tools
Sections

Looking for sustainable/green translucent panel options and frame/mounting system?

by California Dreaming last modified Aug 13, 2009 04:36 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Looking for sustainable/green translucent panel options and frame/mounting system?

Posted by California Dreaming at February 10. 2009

Hello -

I am a designer and I am working on small commercial T.I. that is aiming to be LEED certified. I am wanting to design the interior office partition walls so that they are not drywall but rather a translucent material that will emit light. They need to be floor to ceiling and they are 9' ceilings. My first thought would be a polycarbonate like Thermoclear, etc. over a metal stud wall but unfortunately that's a toxic material. I'm aware of 3-form's Varia line but was wondering if anyone knows of any other options/ideas? I also need to design a way to mount these panels, whether it's metal studs or something  that a manufacturer provides, i.e. frame system. Overall I'm going for a very 'light' feel so the less materials the better. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully these images from Panelite help give an idea...thanks so much.

Attachments

Re: Looking for sustainable/green translucent panel options and frame/mounting system?

Posted by Karl Mead at February 10. 2009

You might look at:

http://www.3-form.com/about-path_to_zero-usgbc_leed.php

Hope that helps. 

Karl Mead

Previously California Dreaming wrote:

Hello -

I am a designer and I am working on small commercial T.I. that is aiming to be LEED certified. I am wanting to design the interior office partition walls so that they are not drywall but rather a translucent material that will emit light. They need to be floor to ceiling and they are 9' ceilings. My first thought would be a polycarbonate like Thermoclear, etc. over a metal stud wall but unfortunately that's a toxic material. I'm aware of 3-form's Varia line but was wondering if anyone knows of any other options/ideas? I also need to design a way to mount these panels, whether it's metal studs or something  that a manufacturer provides, i.e. frame system. Overall I'm going for a very 'light' feel so the less materials the better. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully these images from Panelite help give an idea...thanks so much.

Re: Looking for sustainable/green translucent panel options and frame/mounting system?

Posted by Maze at February 10. 2009

We used Polygal for a large interior sliding door and mounted the panels to a custom made steel frame. Very simple and much more affordable than 3 Form.  

Polygal Standard Sheets

• Product is more energy-efficient or water-efficient than similar products
  • Product is more durable or requires less maintenance than similar products
  • Product contains pre-consumer recycled content
  • Product is recyclable or biodegradable after use

Sustainable Sites

SS Credit 7.1 - Reduce heat islands, non-roof

SS Credit 7.2 - Reduce heat islands, roof

Energy and Atmosphere

EA Credit 1 - Optimize energy performance

Materials and Resources

MR Credit 4 - Recycled content

Indoor Environmental Quality

EQ Credit 7 - Thermal comfort

Product contributes to Green Globes rating system, www.greenglobes.com

Energy

Manufacturer can provide sustainability data in ASTM E2129 format.

Attachments

Posted by Maze at February 11. 2009

Sorry about that posting. It was a cut and paste issue!

Posted by JPS at August 13. 2009

This is a great product that is an eco-resin panel and it is about 1/3 of the cost of 3-form, located in Orange County

http://www.chrysalishd.com/

Attachments