Personal tools

creative ideas for enclosed deck floor covering

by Danelle Downer last modified Aug 26, 2011 12:42 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

creative ideas for enclosed deck floor covering

Posted by Danelle Downer at March 17. 2011

Looking for floor covering ideas to cover the 2x6 decking in and enclosed deck/back porch area.  Must be easily washable (dogs all of a sudden are having pee wars gotta luv the pups) very frugally priced light weight durable.  The deck is not built up to current specs and someday will tear it down.  We have put more post and beam under it for now just in case.  It has been there for years and all the wood is sound no rot.  I just don't want to spend hundreds of $$ on it.   Read all the threads on plywood and that was a thought however living in the Pacific NW very high humidity some condensation from the metal roof drips down. When it rains sideways buckets can have very small leaks. winter plants in there so have occasional water spills.  Live in the country so grit grime mud fir needles is always a constant.  I am thinking ply wood would not be the best choice afraid of warping buckling.   Cement board ? Chip board? I just don't know.  Any ideas? Would LOVE to hear them thanks

Re: creative ideas for enclosed deck floor covering

Posted by Larry Simpson at August 19. 2011

I think you will have a rough time finding wood that is hardy enough for a Washington rain season, your dogs, and who knows what else might happen. I have a similar problem. I'm looking for materials sturdy enough to support Above Ground Pools on properties owned by my mother and I.

Have you considered approaching a local supplier to get wood? I know there is a lot of logging in the Pacific Northeast so you will have the problem with the humidity and moisture taken care of because that wood is used to that type of environment. You might have to decide whether the trade-off of having an easily cleanable floor is worth replacing it every few years, because if you go with cheaper plywood you might have to make that decision.