Sections

Ideas for translucent room dividers / wall partitions in loft

by California Dreaming last modified Feb 20, 2008 11:36 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Ideas for translucent room dividers / wall partitions in loft

Posted by California Dreaming at February 19. 2008

Hi all -

I have a loft project where the ceilings in the space are 15' high. I'd like to split the space to create a bedroom and rather than a typical wall would like to use a translucent wall using something like 3-form or something similar. Since the ceilings are so high it will probably have to attach to the floor and walls (the opening is 16' wide). Has anyone seen any uniquely constructed room dividers or wall partitions either in a loft or commercial space that have this translucent effect? I'm not crazy about the The Sliding Door Co. as they look like closet doors to me...Any links, tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Ideas for translucent room dividers / wall partitions in loft

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 19. 2008

Do you have to walk through the screen or can it be fixed (building one with a door will be more $$$. Can you build it 12' wide and walk around it?

Do you want it to have storage, or just be the wall?

I think the cheapest option would be to have a weld shop build you 5 uprights (2"x2"x 1/4" tube) with 6"x6"x3/8" plates welded to the bottom with 3/8" holes 1" from each corner (to bolt to the floor with 1/4" bolts). With 5, you put one against each wall and then every 4' in between. Have them put a 2"x1/4" bar along one side of the end pieces and on both sides of the in-between uprights (with 3/8" holes every 12". You could have them connected at the top and bottom with more tube (welded on site) and then painted. But if you are fine with the look of only the uprights, I'd have them powdercoated.

For panels, I'd suggest 8mm thick polygal (pre-drilled and bolted to the bar). They come in 4'x10' sheets (I think) and so you could make the uprights 10'8" tall and use most of 4 sheets (with a 8" gap at the bottom).

Any other material will be much more spendy.

If you have to walk through it, you could just use 4 uprights and 3 panels and have a 48" opening at one end.

If this isn't clear, I think I could Sketch-up it in about 5 minutes.

Posted by California Dreaming at February 20. 2008

Thank you for the detail! I hate to sound retarded but a sketch would be helpful...thanks so much!

Previously Jeffrey Rous wrote:

Do you have to walk through the screen or can it be fixed (building one with a door will be more $$$. Can you build it 12' wide and walk around it?

Do you want it to have storage, or just be the wall?

I think the cheapest option would be to have a weld shop build you 5 uprights (2"x2"x 1/4" tube) with 6"x6"x3/8" plates welded to the bottom with 3/8" holes 1" from each corner (to bolt to the floor with 1/4" bolts). With 5, you put one against each wall and then every 4' in between. Have them put a 2"x1/4" bar along one side of the end pieces and on both sides of the in-between uprights (with 3/8" holes every 12". You could have them connected at the top and bottom with more tube (welded on site) and then painted. But if you are fine with the look of only the uprights, I'd have them powdercoated.

For panels, I'd suggest 8mm thick polygal (pre-drilled and bolted to the bar). They come in 4'x10' sheets (I think) and so you could make the uprights 10'8" tall and use most of 4 sheets (with a 8" gap at the bottom).

Any other material will be much more spendy.

If you have to walk through it, you could just use 4 uprights and 3 panels and have a 48" opening at one end.

If this isn't clear, I think I could Sketch-up it in about 5 minutes.

Posted by Jeffrey Rous at February 21. 2008

Ok, this looks like some sort of sci-fi movie prison, but I don't have much to go on other than the dimensions you provided. I think you could omit one panel. On the side, I would leave it open. If an opening needs to be closer to the center, I might consider a sliding panel that could be slid into place in the row. I think you need to have them connected on site. The 4 columns alone just wouldn't be as nice.

Attachments