Personal tools
Sections

Shipping Containers as Modern Housing

by JPS last modified May 14, 2012 07:54 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Shipping Containers as Modern Housing

Posted by JPS at April 22. 2010

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience utilizing shipping containers as part of their design?  I am looking for any links or references to “how-to” types of websites or any feedback from anyone who has built with them. I have a client who is interested in using them to create additional housing on their property (a rental unit). I have been interested in them for some time now and would love to be able to figure out the basics on them. Some of the obvious questions are regarding waterproofing, structural stability, how to finish the interiors out without penetrating the exterior, permitting concerns, etc.  Any feedback is very much appreciated and welcomed. Thanks so much.

Attachments

Re: Shipping Containers as Modern Housing

Posted by Andy Kahn at April 26. 2010

Try the fabprefab site. they have a section on containers. http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm

Andy

Previously Jimmy Sullivan wrote:

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience utilizing
shipping containers as part of their design?  I am looking for any links or references to “how-to”
types of websites or any feedback from anyone who has built with them. I have a
client who is interested in using them to create additional housing on their
property (a rental unit). I have been interested in them for some time now and
would love to be able to figure out the basics on them. Some of the obvious
questions are regarding waterproofing, structural stability, how to finish the
interiors out without penetrating the exterior, permitting concerns, etc.  Any feedback is very much appreciated and
welcomed. Thanks so much.

Posted by Mark Schembri at March 02. 2011

Been to the prefab site and the Container Pros site, doesn't seem to have any information on any special problems encountered with using shipping containers as a housing material.

Posted by Jardonhu at May 14. 2012
Previously Mark Schembri wrote:

Been to the prefab site and the Container Pros site, doesn't seem to have any information on any special problems encountered with using shipping containers as a housing material.Why could this happen?