Personal tools
Sections

Kitchen flooring suggestions

by HMK last modified Nov 21, 2011 11:42 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Kitchen flooring suggestions

Posted by HMK at April 08. 2010

I'd like some suggestions for kitchen flooring.

The kitchen is galley/style, 14.5 x 8.5 feet, located on the main floor of a 1916 home. I have cheap, damaged vinyl glued to a plywood subfloor, sitting on top of the original plank floor. However, the existing flooring/subfloor follows the footprint of the cabinets which I plan on tearing out.

I want modern and resilient.

No grout.  Ideally, something in a sheet large enough to cover the whole floor.

I can't seem to find anything that isn't trying to imitate wood, stone, or tile

This frustrates me to no end... If I wanted wood, stone or tile, I'd have these items installed!

What I have found is either rated poorly for performance or is priced WAY out of my range.

What's worse, I live in Canada - which means that great products available elsewhere are impossible to find and even more expensive to purchase. Although, a friend of a friend makes regular trips south of the border to buy building materials.

Re: Kitchen flooring suggestions

Posted by Urban Tile and Stone at April 12. 2010

Previously HMK wrote:

I'd like some suggestions for kitchen flooring.

The kitchen is galley/style, 14.5 x 8.5 feet, located on the main floor of a 1916 home. I have cheap, damaged vinyl glued to a plywood subfloor, sitting on top of the original plank floor. However, the existing flooring/subfloor follows the footprint of the cabinets which I plan on tearing out.

I want modern and resilient.

No grout.  Ideally, something in a sheet large enough to cover the whole floor.

I can't seem to find anything that isn't trying to imitate wood, stone, or tile

This frustrates me to no end... If I wanted wood, stone or tile, I'd have these items installed!

What I have found is either rated poorly for performance or is priced WAY out of my range.

What's worse, I live in Canada - which means that great products available elsewhere are impossible to find and even more expensive to purchase. Although, a friend of a friend makes regular trips south of the border to buy building materials.

Unfortunately there are not all that many options for what you are looking for. If you lower your sub floor then you could have a 2 inch epoxy concrete pad poured and have it stained to your desired look. I know you mentioned you didn't want tile, but if it comes down to it you could choose a square edge large tile and space them a 1/16 inch and use epoxy grout.

Posted by unismartin at April 23. 2010

Yeah!! For me Tiles suits better for the kitchen. There are lot of different floor types which suits better for kitchen and a good interior for home also.

Posted by Jenny at November 21. 2011

There are several types of flooring the perfect for your kitchen like hardwood, laminate and tile flooring but most households used the tile flooring because of its durability and elegant looks. Some tile flooring that they used are marble, limestone and porcelain tile.

Tile liquidator