Personal tools
Sections

Repurposed Materials for Rain Screen?

by Brian Jewett last modified Apr 14, 2009 10:23 AM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

Repurposed Materials for Rain Screen?

Posted by Brian Jewett at March 17. 2009

I'm an artist working with recycled or repurposed materials. My architect has turned me loose to find/scavenge interesting materials for a rainscreen. I've seen printing plates used to a Frank Geary like effect and a visitors center somewhere in the south that was covered with used tires, cut pie like into quarters with the sidewalls removed and laid like a mexican tile roof. Has anyone else seen any other uses of recycled or repurposed materials that could be used for an interesting and inexpensive rain screen? Road signs? Pallets?

Thanks, here's some pics of the tires to get those wheels turning...

Attachments

Re: Repurposed Materials for Rain Screen?

Posted by Darin Dougherty at April 02. 2009

brian,

we're using cor-ten steel (not reclaimed - but fairly inexpensive and contains recycled material) and barn wood.  the barn wood was found on craig's list and was also fairly expensive.  we're going to install the wood in it's natural state.  you can see some pics here:

www.sipshousepdx.com

darin

Posted by NomadCo. at April 02. 2009

Darin, what did you use for the black house wrap beneath the panels? 

Posted by Darin Dougherty at April 13. 2009

the house wrap is Vaproshield

http://www.vaproshield.com/products/wallshield/

Posted by richierod at April 14. 2009

I don't know if it was ever built, but Pugh-Scarpa had a plan to build a house in New Orleans using old pallets as a rainscreen. www.pugh-scarpa.com

As an aside, I used Vaproshield for my rainscreen installation, and I'm very happy with it.

-R.