Personal tools

If I were building from scratch I would___________(fill in the blank, PLEASE!)

by Bunnie White last modified Jan 18, 2012 08:28 PM
Editorial Rating: 1 2 3 4 5
Average Rating: 1 2 3 4 5 ( 0 votes)

If I were building from scratch I would___________(fill in the blank, PLEASE!)

Posted by Bunnie White at January 18. 2012

We have just acquired a large parcel of the boonies.  Good news about boonies...there are no building permits, inspections or regulations on materials to use.  Bad news about the boonies, your neighbors need no permits, inspections, or regulations either.  Arggh.

I have been away from the board and have not seen what the industry has done nor what you all have experienced.  I was hopeful those of you that really have passions for current design and method would share a little insight to point me in the right direction.  I have a blank piece of paper and I need it filled with a few ideas before I speak to or choose my architect.

Just the two of us a modest size of 2000 to 3000 square.  I am thinking of a Jewel box.  Quality details, but budget friendly size.  We live and work at home, so some things need really to work well to accomodate that life style.  I am getting serious about food storage...and like the idea of old school root cellar.  So subteranian elements are intriging to us.  We live in a state  (Oklahoma) where whirly giggers come out of the sky, so safe harbor in ground in some form is a necessity.  I have other points, but those mainly are where my thoughts are.

I like the idea of prefab in that it is fast and precise, but not convinced it would be right for us.  Even though there is no permits or codes to meet, I think I may want to build conventional.  Open to suggestions though.

If any of you found yourself in my shoes, would you let me know what you would do?  I could truly use your suggestions.  So ...won't you fill in the blank?  Please?   I would ____________ in building my new home.